Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

J.M.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2012
Hey guys,

I have a 3GS on firmware 4.2.1 with baseband 04.26.08 unlocked and jailbroken. Is it possible for me to retain the 04.26.08 baseband and update to the latest 6.0.1 and still be able to unlock the phone? It's been a while since I've done this jailbreak/unlock stuff and I'm not really sure how to start off with this.

Any sort of help/guidance would be greatly appreciated! :)

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
Yes it can be down, depending on how old your GS is it will be either a tethered(new bootrom) or untethered Jailbreak (old bootrom)

use latest redsn0w 09.15.b3

download the 6.01 IPSW

go to Extras/even more/restore

select the downloaded IPSW
select the SHSH you have for 6.01 (or get it if you don't) either locally or remote(cydia)

follow instructions, it should ask if you would like to preserve BB furing process, select YES.

After restore JB with same redsn0w, you need to manually point the IPSW to iOS 6.0 (download that as well).

Install ultrasn0w again.

J.M.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2012
Hey Tri,

Thanks for the fast response! Unfortunately I'm not sure if I have a new or old bootrom, how do I check it?

I would like to stay away from a tethered jailbreak as much as possible as I plan on giving this phone to my father. Even if it means I would have to stick to fw 5.1.1 to maintain an untethered jailbreak and retain my baseband, I guess.

Please let me know!

Thanks

Last edited:

TheRainKing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2012
Hey Tri,

Thanks for the fast response! Unfortunately I'm not sure if I have a new or old bootrom, how do I check it?

I would like to stay away from a tethered jailbreak as much as possible as I plan on giving this phone to my father. Even if it means I would have to stick to fw 5.1.1 to maintain an untethered jailbreak and retain my baseband, I guess.

Please let me know!

Thanks

If you download redsn0w and then plug in your iPhone 3GS, it tells you whether you have old bootrom or new one. If you have the old bootrom at the bottom it will say "old BR"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.