3Gs on 6.1.6: Buttery Smooth!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by that be me, Dec 9, 2014.

1. that be me macrumors 6502

Spent the day with my dad's 3Gs when I left my 6 at work. I'm actually surprised how smooth the phone runs. Sure, it doesn't have the latest iOS and lacks luxuries like LTE, retina display and a good camera, but the user experience is really darn good! After hearing the complaints about iOS 8.1.1 and the inconsistencies it has caused on different hardware, I wonder why they can't do what they did with the 3Gs. Thoughts? Anyone rocking an older iDevice and still love it?

2. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

You'll find that Apple's software engineers do optimize iOS for legacy hardware to a certain point. Forum users on here are just expecting the best of the best in terms of technology. Anything older will carry a 'biased' reaction. An iPhone 3GS is perfectly usable today; anyone who says otherwise should step back and use a flip-phone and realize how much they take for granted.

3. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

To be fair, many people, including myself, are having issues with 8.x even on their 6 plus. It's certainly the worst (though not terrible or unlivable) experience I have ever had with a brand new top end iPhone.

4. Jayson A macrumors 68000

5. Bahroo macrumors 68000

Cheers mate your 3GS and my 6 Plus are buttery smooth :D thats a iPhone for you

6. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

I had to use a 3Gs for a few days over the summer and buttery smooth is the last thing I'd use to describe it. it's painfully slow and limited in its function. it wasn't horrible, or even bad, considering it came out in 2009, but it's not really a good experience if you want to do anything but the basics.

7. Bahroo macrumors 68000

on older software it runs alot better and is perfectly usable and pretty smooth on older software

8. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Why is that irrelevant? It can be downgraded to 6.x now... and that is what the entire post is about (the device running on 6.x).

9. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

3Gs on 6.1.6: Buttery Smooth!

the entire post is about the 3GS running on the latest software it can, 6.1.6.

10. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

You're right. For a moment there I thouht iOS 7 was available. My bad!

11. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

My 4s is spotless and still running last iOS 6...

Smooth as buttah, still love it!

12. AlexxRyzhkov macrumors regular

I own an iPhone 4 running iOS 6, and used to own an iPhone 3GS running iOS 6.

I remember when my iPhone 5S had to be sent in for repair, so I had to use the 3GS for about 2 weeks. Honestly it ran really well for a 5 year old device, I was actually surprised. There was occasional slow down but it was smooth most of the time.

I was handed down a 4 running iOS 6 and it runs pretty well, not as fast as the 3GS for some reason though.

13. Beta Particle macrumors 6502a

I suppose it depends what you're using it for. I have been using a 3GS recently and have found it to be painfully slow. Even just launching simple apps like PCalc takes a while, and simple games like Threes are totally unplayable.

14. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

I think the 3GS with iOS 6 was smoother but the 4S with iOS 8 is faster and has better feature support. iOS 8 is just a more intensive OS at this point.

15. RoboWarriorSr macrumors 6502a

Considering they share the same GPU and the 4 has a retina display that would make sense. There is a reason why the 4s has a GPU 7x more powerful than the 4.