3GS on iPad Baseband and 5.0.1 Question

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Petenuts, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Petenuts, Mar 20, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2012

Petenuts macrumors newbie

I have a 3GS on ipad baseband and iOS 5.0.1. During my jailbreaking process, I've been told to turn off 3G so i can get service.

My question is why? I use google maps and browse safari alot on my phone and EDGE service is pretty slow, is there a away to enable 3G and get service at the same time? I know iOS 5.1 is out now, so is there a away to fix this problem?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Are you unlocking your 3Gs onto USA T-Mobile? USA T-Mobile's network has 3G on radio bands that the 3Gs cannot use. Thus, turning off 3G is necessary in order to use the device on T-Mobile's EDGE network.

3. Petenuts thread starter macrumors newbie

That's strange because when I first got the phone, i was able to use 3G on it (yeah, tmobile carrier) but after upgrading to 6.15.00 Baseband, i need to turn off 3G to get service. So this is something that can't be fixed?

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No you didnt use 3G on Tmobile USA with an iphone.
    The only way to fix that is to have Tmobile upgrade and change all their towers to the 3G band frequencies compatible with the iphone.
    You can ask them nicely but I doubt you will get far.

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Aren't there some USA T-Mobile towers that are iPhone 3G band compatible? I remember reading a thread on it here. I think you even posted in it.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, a few cities in NV I believe.
    Very rare find though, I doubt the OP lives there. Sounds like he's just mistaken.