3gs plastic cracked

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by headset, Sep 12, 2010.

1. headset macrumors member

Has the back of anyone else's 3gs cracked? I have a crack extending up from the dock connector. I didn't drop it, it just appeared one day. It's been getting longer too. Do you think applecare would cover this?

2. aaps59 macrumors regular

aaps59

Usually with the 3g's and the 3gs', there may be some small casing cracks near the USB connector but usually nothing major. If you took it in to Apple I doubt they would replace it.

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

If it's a naturally occurring crack, I think that Apple Care will cover it, but if their is any sign of physical damage (dropped), then no Apple Care will not cover it.

4. nohite macrumors member

If you use a dock it can cause cracks around the dock connector. I had 2 small cracks on my 3GS but i was able to sell it to Gazelle for full price as in "perfect condition". So don't worry about it, but stop using the dock!

5. Vick84 macrumors regular

Vick84

6. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Actually from both experience and reading these forums, 99% of the time Apple will replace an in-warranty iPhone that has these hairline cracks. It's an issue that has been around since the 3G, and I've had my 3GS replaced twice because of it. No phone should crack just through normal use (inserting and removing the dock connector), hence it's a flaw of the design of the phone and there's no reason why Apple wouldn't replace it. Generally if it's user-caused damage (from a drop or whatever), there would be other signs like scuff marks, dents or scratches.

7. tariqi macrumors newbie

Both my 3G and my 3GS had this problem. Never dropped, and the cracks started on the edges of the dock connectors. I just took it into the Apple store, showed the Genius bar and they've replaced it both times without any hassle.

8. akasch macrumors regular

I got my 3g replaced three times by apple because of those hairline cracks. They seem to be very common and the genius bar guys don't even question replacing the phone.