3GS Posting Videos Upside Down?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ogdogg, Jun 24, 2009.

1. ogdogg macrumors 6502

When I try to post a video to facebook or copy a video from my iPhone to my HD it turns the video upside down. How do I get around this issue? When I play the videos on my iPhone or computer they look right, but if I upload the vid to facebook or try to convert it to another format it flips upside down. What's up? The only site it works correctly with is YouTube.

2. beeph macrumors member

Try taking a video upside down. :)

3. samcraig macrumors P6

Pay attention to the orientation when you hit record. If you're landscape = your video will be too. If you're portrait - your video will be.

4. ogdogg thread starter macrumors 6502

This isn't the issue. The same video will upload to YouTube correctly, play correctly on my computer, play correctly when emailed to other phones, but then when I convert it To another format or upload the original .mov to facebook, it turns upside down. Why does it play correctly on my computer, but flip upside down when uploaded to facebook?

5. The General macrumors 601

How are you uploading them to Facebook, et al.?

6. samcraig macrumors P6

Have you tried shooting videos in landscape in both directions? Perhaps one is considered "right side up" and the other isn't. Which is why I made my initial comment. I understood the question :)

7. ogdogg thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm uploading the .mov file of the video that I emailed myself through Facebook's "upload video" link.

8. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

This is Apple's problem.

[​IMG]

If you bring your vids into iMovie the thumb scrub is correct but the preview is wacked. You can easily rotate it, but why?!?!?!

9. ogdogg thread starter macrumors 6502

I think the way I was doing it (home button to the right) is probably what would be considered normal, but you could be right. Unfortunately I'm at work and can't test this right now. Anyone want to test and replicate the issue? I'd love to get this figured out and think there must be a simple solution.

10. ogdogg thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm on a PC and can't easily rotate it. Fix this Apple! Can anyone figure out a work around for uploading to facebook correctly?

Nobody?

11. dacreativeguy macrumors 68000

12. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

13. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

No, thumbs are correct, preview is wrong.

14. soLoredd macrumors 6502a

Blah. Apple's testing is piss-poor. They design the hardware, they make the software, yet they still release stuff like this. Come on, their own iMovie software! You'd think somebody would have caught this.

Because the firmware can be updated easily just gives them an excuse.

15. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

did you try fliiping the camera 180 degrees to see if it posts upside down?

16. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

NO software is EVER perfect on the first (or even second third or fourth) release. That's just life. Also this is an iPhone problem, not an iMovie problem.
    So hostile for such a minor glitch...

To the OP, make sure to report this issue to Apple
    http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

17. ogdogg thread starter macrumors 6502

No, I can't because I'm at work for the next few hours. Would another member of the forum like to test this out real quick and provide us with the results?

FYI - I have reported this bug to Apple.

18. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76XfqRffSsQ

ok here it is.
    The first pan is with the home button to the right (everything is upside right)
    Then you will see where I flipped the phone so the home button is now on the left. Although the phone displays the image upside right the phone records it upside down.

hope this helps

19. The General macrumors 601

The phone displays what the camera sees. If you turn the camera, the display also turns. You would have to turn your head with the phone upside to see that it is displaying what the camera sees - which is upside down.

The phone will set "up" to whatever is "up" when you start recording.

20. ogdogg thread starter macrumors 6502

That wasn't my issue. I took the vid with the home button to the right... If you did this test backwards you'd have the same result. The issue is the video gets flipped after it's recorded. Try starting the video with the home button to the left and see. Or try uploading this video to facebook and watch it start upside down... When uploading to YouTube, the flip doesn't happen... The video I'm trying to get on facebook is already uploaded correctly to YouTube. It isn't user error, it's a bug. My question now is... How can I work around this bug to get my video uploaded correctly to YouTube?

Uploaded correctly to facebook I mean...

21. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

k give me about 5minutes

22. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

I can' seem to duplicate the issue.
    Previews and icons appear upside right or upside down correctly based on which side the home button is on, Uploads to face book are all correct.

Running win7 not sure if that matters