3GS Questions??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ivnj, Sep 26, 2012.

1. ivnj macrumors 65816

I know its old but still a good phone. My mom has a 16gb black 3gs. She might upgrade by the end of the year. If she does I will use that so I don't have to buy a new phone. My android micro usb port is loose and not charging very well unless I hold it in a certain direction. Micro usb sucks. So if I use the 3gs a few questions.

1. Being 3 years old battery is not what it used to be. So if the battery finally stops charging someday can I still use it. I mean I can replace the battery but that's expensive. But can I just use a usb cord for example in my card in one of those cigrette lighter to usb adapters. We currently use one right now and it works great. But if the battery is completely dead will that still make it turn on like if I have an accident or an emergency. Or the usb cable won't bypass the battery and make it turn on even if plugged in.

2. Does at&t allow the iphone to be used as prepay. I'm on 10 cents a minute. So I can just slip out my existing 3g sim card and slip it into the 3gs and keep my number. Or I need a new sim card and ipohne is not allowed on prepaid. At the store a lady said I can. But I thought I read somewhere its not allowed. Can't find the link.

3. Does ios6 work on 3gs. I read on some blog a guy got it to work. But does apple officially support 6 on 3gs or is 5 the highest I can go.

4. And if I decide to jailbreak it its easy too do. Or has anyone bricked their phone trying. And is it possible to reset the phone or unjail it if I decide later.

2. Beezzy macrumors 6502

You can get a replacement battery for it, Apple still sells them or you can try to replace it yourself. iMore.com has a huge DYI guide for your 3GS.

Yeah you can but you won't get visual voicemail I believe. Everything else should work fine. Just download a data usuage app to keep that in control or check the usage in settings and reset it every month if you don't wanna waste storage space.

Yep, Apple has the 3GS on the iOS 6 support. It will prob be the last one supported since it barley gets any of the major feature that the 4, 4S, and 5 get do to system memory and CPU. It's mainly cosmetic changes (apple maps but no turn by turn, updated App and iTunes stores, no YouTube native app).

Yeah its easy to do with a Jailbreak already out for iOS 6. And if you wanna reset the phone while it has jailbreak, just plug it into iTunes and hit Restore.

Hope this helps.

3. ivnj thread starter macrumors 65816

Good to know about 4 and yes for 2 and 3. But #1 I was wondering if my battery was dead if I could still use it. I know it can be replaced. But I was wondering if it would still turn on even with a dead battery. By plugging it in to the usb computer or wall brick. Or dead is dead like a car needs a battery to jumpstart it and won't run without battery or if dead. Cuz if it works then at least it can be used for emergencies. If not at all then it is useless. Unless you want to argue it is already useless because its outdated.