3GS randomly downloads emails? Need Advice please.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Offshore1, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Offshore1 macrumors regular

Offshore1

I am on my second 3GS, and I am having an odd intermittent problem:
    When I select phone to use it, sometimes I get my emails. This is VERY random and doesn't always happen.

I have my email account set to 100% manual and works when I want it to. However - very intermittently- when I go to phone or (even more rare)contacts, all my emails download from the server. My 1st 3GS did same. Doesn't matter if it is Edge, 3G or WiFi.

On 1st 3GS, when I first got it, I set it up from a back up of my old 3G. The 1st 3GS had some issues, as well as this intermittent email download problem, so Apple replaced it. On the new 3GS, I set it up as a new phone, nothing restored from back up. I have deleted the email account and re set it up, I have deleted all network settings and set them back up. Still have this issue.
    I find it odd that both 3GS phones would have same problem! Is this a bug that some folks are seeing?

I also don't get as good battery life as 3G, but it is real close and I am kinda ok with that, but the 3GS (both) get warmer than old 3G. I keep everything off that sucks battery and only turn them on when needed. I could get 7 to 10 days before I needed to recharge my 3G, the 3GS is lucky to go 7. As you can see, I am not a heavy user.

Anyhow - any advice for intermittent problem? Thanks in advance

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

What do you mean you have email set to "100% manual?" I assume you have push off. Also fetch is set to manual. However, what are you settings under advanced (where you set the settings for fetch to manual)?

3. EmptyWallet macrumors regular

Mine did this just today when I hit messages.....it downloaded an email.

It's happened before when I hit the phone icon I believe.

4. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

The only thing I could think to try is to delete the email account then add it back.

5. HighLife420 macrumors 6502a

yep, i thought i had mine turned off...i have manual set to everything, push is off...

however, i still download the mail at least 1 time a day, different times.

I dunno why though, starting to irk me :mad::mad:

6. Offshore1 thread starter macrumors regular

Offshore1

100% manual means every setting is set to manaual. No push.

Sometimes it will download emails when I hit messages too.
    I have deleted the account and then manually added it back in.

7. Offshore1 thread starter macrumors regular

Offshore1

My phone did it again - I turned it on, left it on counter for about 15 minutes, came back and I had emails. Didn't do a thing other than turn it on.

Why is this happening? A bug? Defective phone??
    Any ideas??

8. tahoeroscoe macrumors regular

tahoeroscoe

my phone also downloads emails when i wake it up, i have a 3g. not sure if its a bug or intentional.