3GS reactivated after installing Winterboard, now won't sync?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by TheHeadFL, Jul 9, 2009.

1. TheHeadFL macrumors member

32GB 3GS jailbroken with purplera1n RC2a

So before I even get to the problem, let me just say I know that I can just restore and do it all over again. I am just trying to understand what happened so that I don't end up wasting hours of my time again restoring all my music/etc from backup multiple times.

Basically, right after I jailbroke, I installed:

Cydia
    Backgrounder (so I got MobileSubstrate as well)
    Notifier

I was going good for a couple days, and then I installed WinterBoard. Well, upon install, at the end, it gave me the 'Reboot Phone' button. Which I clicked.

Phone goes down for a reboot, all is well, except after I go back to Springboard, I see "iPhone is Activated!" popup. This is extremely strange because it was *already* activated.

Now, when I sync to iTunes, I get "Syncing iPhone" instead of "Syncing [My Name]'s iPhone". Also, it never progresses past that point. Sometimes it will also get caught on "Verifying iPhone".

Well, I've taken it down gracefully (holding power button and swiping to turn off, then turning back on), I've taken it down hard (holding both power and home until it shuts off, which takes a lot longer to reboot, obviously), and I've rebooted my PC and restart iTunes and the whole lot. I tried reinserting my SIM card, etc etc. I've basically given up. I'm going to restore, but its annoying. I just can't understand why this happened.

Anyone have any ideas?

EDIT: BTW, Winterboard works fine and the iPhone functions normally in every other respect.

2. TheHeadFL thread starter macrumors member

Well I figured out why it got stuck on syncing...

I killed the files:

/private/var/mobile/Media/com.apple.itunes.lock_sync
    /private/var/mobile/Media/com.apple.itunes.syncing

and it syncs again.

The only problem now is that it still says just 'iPhone' instead of my name. Oh well, going to restore and see what the heck is going on with it.

3. TheHeadFL thread starter macrumors member

Well, the stupid problem is back, except for this time it didn't lose my name, but it still won't sync and deleting those files now no longer seems to help...

This all started because I guess I interrupted a sync that was taking forever and ever. It did the full sync, then at the end it was just sitting on "Syncing iPhone" for like 20 minutes. So I unplugged it... now it just won't sync at all.

Stuck on "Verifying Ryan's iPhone"/"Syncing Ryan's iPhone" and it won't move...

anybody have any suggestions? I really really do not want to restore and redo it all again...

4. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

You can change the name of the phone in iTunes

Left column when phone is plugged in

Just click twice on phone icon name to rename. Type what you want.

5. TheHeadFL thread starter macrumors member

OK, I managed to make it work again... here is what I did:

I went into /private/var/mobile/Media/iTunes_Control/iTunes/iTunes Library.itlp/

Inside that folder there is a folder named DBTemp, and in that there is Backup.

I copied the contents of Backup over the contents of the iTunes Library.itlp folder...

Then in /private/var/mobile/Media/iTunes_Control/iTunes I deleted the file
    iTunesLock.

6. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

this same exact thing just happened to me. however it just reset the name of my phone. I changed it back and its syncing now ::crosses fingers:: i was like wtf when it said "iphone is activated" after all this time avoiding winterboard. 2 seconds after installing all these issues.