3GS - Really slippery

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Scott6666, Jun 20, 2009.

1. Scott6666 macrumors 65816

Scott6666

This sucker seems to really polished and somewhat slippery. I think it's bound to hit the deck a few times in it's lifetime (grab it too hard and it will pop out like a banana from it's peel!!).

I've moved up from an original 1st gen to the GS. Perhaps the 3G was similarly slippery.

Anyone else think this is the case? I would have much preferred some sort of non-slip rubbery type back.

Anyone have a good solution for it? I use a case that links onto a belt so I don't think I could put in a case and then fit it into a belt case. I didn't really remember a good fitted case that also clips to a belt.

2. Resident Guru macrumors member

I've actually found it to be less slippery than my OG iPhone.

3. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Its a little more slipper than my 2G, and equal to my 3G. It will not pop out of my hand if I grip it really hard. If you're concerned put one of those invisible shield things on it.

4. Titan12 macrumors regular

I agree completely. It is much grippier (not a word, lol) than my 1st gen.

5. RKilbane20 macrumors 6502a

Going from 2G to 3GS it doesnt seem like its gonna fall out of mine hands as easily

6. dohspc macrumors regular

dohspc

I wish it would have had the grip backing as the rumors indicated but it does feel a little more solid. I guess because it's a little heavier.

7. DuFFy macrumors regular

i have to agree with those saying the 2g is more slippery. The plastic back sticks to your skin much more willingly than the metal does. you take both phones, one in each hand, and rest them on your fingers and move your hands forward and back, the plastic wont slide, the metal does. thats my experience anyway.

8. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I use a silicone case, but the first one I bought was more slippery than the phone!

If you don't want a full case, I've seen "patches" that keep electronics from slipping off the dash of your car. They also provide good traction for the hands.

9. slicecom macrumors 68020

x3

2G is way more slippery than 3G or 3GS.

10. magpie maniac macrumors 6502

magpie maniac

My 3G S wears one of those Speck cases that look like a hand grenade. It's not going anywhere.

11. Ben C. macrumors member

Ben C.

Get an Incipio Feather. You'll barely know it's on there, and it has a matte finish that is smooth yet more grippy than the stock banana-peel finish.

12. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

i think you are the only person to have ever felt this way

that brushed aluminum is way more slippery than the plastic used in the 3g and 3GS

13. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Could be. I think the smooth finish of the plastic back gives the illusion that it's more slippery.

I think if you're used to handling the original iPhone naked (there's a learning curve), you shouldn't have any problems with the 3G/3GS.

14. Trent0341 macrumors 6502

Im not sure why Im even bothering to post this but... yeah, I have to agree with those saying the 1st Gen iPhone was way more like to slip out of my hand.

15. Romanesq macrumors 6502a

Romanesq

had both....

2g and 3g. Both found a way to fall at least three times each.
    Sorry but a lot of these cases would not save the day.

A hard leather case has done so for both (Casemate) for AT&T.
    The one that saved the 3g is now on my 3GS.

When I sold the 3g the guy was so impressed how pristine it's condition. :cool:

16. Sport73 macrumors member

Sport73

I put the Zagg Invisible Shield on my new 3GS, it definitely increases the 'grip' - and allows me to have a 'naked' phone without worrying about scratches.

17. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

I agree 100%. I sometimes wonder whey they made my 3G so slippery. I bought a silicone case for it which is less slippery and helps to protect it when it's dropped.

18. BD1 macrumors 6502

I use an egrip on the back of the phone. I have used them for years. This way you keep the cool look of the iphone and don't have the bulk of a case. You can hardly tell it is there but is super grippy:

http://www.egrips.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=1

19. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Any one of the skins (bodyguardz, invisible shield, etc) are going to increase grip. Also, what kind of belt clip case are you using? The Incipio Feather case is my favorite case ever because its grippy, protects from scratches, and best of all fits in my incase velcro holster for when I don't have pockets.

20. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68030

My new iFrogz Luxe case has that matte finish and "grippier" feeling.

21. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Put one of those invisible shields on it. Tis like an iPhone condom. I didn't get all the bubbles out on the back, but about 95% of the entire surface of the phone is covered.

22. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

I swear I see this type of thread after every iPhone is released

Not that there is anything wrong with thinking or feeling that it is slippery, I just always recommend that people buy a case just to be safe

23. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

I HIGHLY recommend the Invisible Shield by Zagg. There's a Zagg kiosk outside of the Apple Store I go to and they install it there, and if you need to replace it, they'll reinstall ... I love it. It's literally so grippy, that I can stick it to a glass window and it'll stay there ... At the same time it slides easily in and out of my pocket ... Win Win!

24. payup macrumors member

+1 on 3gs being more slippery than 3g... maybe it won't scratch as much?

25. toxictrix macrumors 6502a

Get an Incipio Feather on that baby. Should fit inside your pouch thingy and it is a nice soft matte finish. This Sounds like exactly what you need...