3GS refurb battery issues?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by walds11, Jun 11, 2010.

1. walds11 macrumors 6502a

I had my 3GS swapped out at the genius bar this past Sunday. There was a hairline crack on the back near the charging port. I am pretty sure it is a refurb. The battery seems to be draining quicker than my old device. Pretty much the same usage, maybe a tad more than usual. I charge it overnight and pull it off the charger about 7:30am. Moderate usage all day, usually hit 20% around 6:00-7:00pm. Now hitting it around 4:00-5:00pm range. Should I be concerned? Does the battery need to be broken in?

2. mpossoff macrumors 68020

hi I bought a refurb from best buys. What was suggested to do once/month is let battery drain til it shuts off.

Actually I hit 20% much quicker than you with what I would consider heavy use.

Others here might be able to better help you.

Marc

3. dieburnbot macrumors 6502a

dieburnbot

Take it back to the genius bar and tell them the battery drains too fast. They can probably look at the phone statistics in the settings app and see if it falls within guidelines. If they don't agree with you just bitch and moan and they should eventually give you a new refurb. Apple is pretty good about stuff like that.

I traded in my iPhone 3G because the metal border on one side was sticking up less than 1 mm. They told me that it was normal because of the way they are manufactured, but I kept bitching about how it bothered me when I ran my finger across the screen and they swapped me a new one without much hassle.

4. walds11 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have days left on my one year limited warranty. Last day is 6/15. Should I take it to the genius bar before then? Or maybe purchase the AppleCare extended warranty and let it ride for a while? How much does a battery replacement cost out of warranty?

5. dieburnbot macrumors 6502a

dieburnbot

Yeah I would try to take it back before the warranty runs out. Also, I don't know how many Apple stores you have, but sometimes one store might have dicks as geniuses in that case you can always try another Apple store. heh

Out of warranty I think the battery replacement costs about 80 dollars. (http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/service/battery/) If you're handy you can do it yourself. http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/Installing-iPhone-3GS-Battery/1545/1

and you can buy batteries fairly cheap: http://www.google.com/products?hl=e...esult_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CEIQrQQwAA

6. walds11 thread starter macrumors 6502a

You are correct, iPhone Out-of-Warranty Battery Replacement Program is $79. And, just for my reference, Out-of-Warranty Service iPhone replacement is $199.

Not sure if I am going to have to time to take it back by 6/14. Worse case scenario, I don't take it back before then and don't purchase AppleCare for $69, then I would have to pay for a battery replacement. Do the Apple stores offer battery replacements? I would hate to have to send it away.

And deciding on whether or not to purchase AppleCare is another dilemma. I am going to give my wife my 3GS. My wife is eligible for an upgrade 2/11/11 and eligible for an early upgrade 11/22/10 according to AT&T. She may upgrade within a year, so maybe not worth it to purchase AppleCare? She also babies her devices if that makes a difference.

7. walds11 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I purchased AppleCare on eBay for $30. Seller sent me an email with the registration number and I registered it with no problems.

The battery still seems to be draining faster than normal or what I am used to. I called Apple support. The Apple Expert said to do a back-up and restore. Is that tough to do? I don't want to lose anything on my iPhone. He said if that does not work, make an appointment at the Genius Bar and have someone test the battery.