3GS restore freezing with no error

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ignign0kt, Jun 27, 2010.

1. ignign0kt macrumors member

I'm trying to restore my 3GS so I can eventually sell it, but it's not wanting to.
    When I try to restore through iTunes, it freezes at "Restoring iPhone software", and the phone just shows the Apple logo with a progress bar that's stuck.
    I rebooted my Macbook, reinstalled iTunes, did a hard reset on the phone, tried it from DFU mode, and I don't know what else to try.

It had the unjailbroken 4.0GM installed on it if that makes any difference.

Suggestions please?

PS I let it go for 8 hours for those of you thinking "Just leave it be and see what happens"

2. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

What setup do you have (i.e. What OS, OS version, and iTunes version)?

3. HBKid macrumors newbie

Mine also froze during a Restore earlier tonight. That's actually what led me to sign up here, because I found the answer on an old thread from 2007.

Disconnect the phone, and do a hard reboot (Hold the Power and Home buttons until it turns off), then turn it back on and try again. That's what worked for me.

4. ignign0kt thread starter macrumors member

I did a hard reset, that didn't work.
    I'm on Snow Leopard, newest iTunes version.
    I'm currently trying another computer so I'll see how that goes

5. HBKid macrumors newbie

yeah the hard reboot is just so that it unfreezes your phone. it will restart in recovery mode.

6. BornToMac macrumors 6502a

BornToMac

I sold my iPhone 3G tonight and had a similar problem. I did the Apple "Erase all content and Data" option and all I got was the spinning wheel for 4hrs. The guy went ahead and took the phone but now I am worried that my personal data might still be on there.

Will a remote wipe from MobileMe work if my SIM isnt present in the phone?