3gs running armband/pouch/ziploc bag?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by fishballer, Jun 29, 2009.

1. fishballer macrumors member

i finally got my fata$$ off the couch and started running again, since 3gs came with Nike+.

after a few runs, i noticed that holding the phone probably isn't the best way to do it.

looking for suggestions on which armband/plastic bag/super glue fellow 3gs folks use.

thanks.

2. Sobek macrumors newbie

I've literally just got a Belkin Sport Armband for my 3GS. I can't speak for use (yet - I may add to this post tomorrow am after my first run with it) but it's a nice looking and quality feeling armband, better than most of the nano armbands I've had in the past.

As it's made for the Touch as well, there is a headphone port on the rear bottom of the case. The iPhone is held in well and there is a key slot as well, which will prove useful as up until now I've ran with my keys in hand - I've just got to get a spare key cut.

If looks & quality were anything to go by, this is an impressive armband!

PS Hadn't heard anything good about the Bone range of armbands.

3. D3lta macrumors 6502a

4. Sobek macrumors newbie

Thankfully I have an earlier version as I'd seen heard bad things about the 3G specific model, but admittedly I'm concerned about the sections only being glued together. May see I I can get a friend who is handy with a sewing machine to do the honors!

5. [G5]Hydra macrumors regular

After doing a few runs I also came to to the conclusion I didn't really want to hold the 3GS or even mess with it much while running. I am not a fan of armbands though so I went with a simple Spibelt, which is like more or less a belt-like strap with a stretch pouch for the iPhone. You could put the iPhone into a ziplock inside it if you want to make it water resistant too. It is small enough I can wear it hidden under my shorts too. The nice thing is that unlike putting the phone into a pocket it doesn't bounce around much.

After running this way a few times I also came to the conclusion that while you can use Apple's ear-buds to change volume and start and stop things you can't activate your power song or invoke the spoken feedback stuff. I went and got a Nike+ AMP watch which lets me control all that stuff during the workout. So far this seem to be the best for me. The iPhone is tucked away safely and all the control I need is on my wrist. If you went with a wireless headset you could completely seal it up in a ziplock and make it pretty much watertight w/o the headphone cable preventing a full seal.

6. ViperrepiV macrumors regular

I too am looking for for an armband that fits an ipod touch as well as the 3GS. Is there a headphone port at both ends of the armband? Also, do you by any chance have a link to the version you have? Thanks

7. Wateroksnmud macrumors regular

iNcase sports armband for the touch is an AWESOME case for the 3G and 3GS. It's made for working out ( think it wicks sweat) but because the phone version is detachable, the touch version works perfect and stays more snug to the body.

I've played the trial and error game with this case. nothing came close to this case.

8. ViperrepiV macrumors regular

great, thanks for the info!

9. ViperrepiV macrumors regular

one other question: how do you guys manage cable length with armbands? I have great earphones for running, but the cord is rather long, and I'd prefer not to buy new earphones just for use with an armband

10. surfer99 macrumors 6502

After researching this intensly for a few days I went with this one....

http://www.amazon.com/SPORT-ARMBAND..._1_1?ie=UTF8&s=wireless&qid=1246462841&sr=8-1

Main reasons were:
    1.Almost all the other armbands I came across had awful reviews, this one for the most part had great reviews.
    2.It was only a few bucks so for the price I figured if it didnt work out I could just toss it and go back to searching.

I must say I am pretty impressed with it. Fits fine, feels fine. Only issue I am running into, which I am pretty concerned about it that when I go on my longer runs (7, 8 miles) I sweat so much that it completly sokes the case and it goes through it to the back of the iPhone a little. I am trying to come up with a way to fix this. I was thinking about maybe getting an armband and putting it around my bicep and then putting the phone on or possibly go with a plastic bag then putting the iphone into the case. Not sure if the plastic bag thing would work or not but I def want to figure this out/ or get a better case.

11. lance54 macrumors newbie

best new armband out there.. for the iPhone

I found this new armband .. the Armpocket.. at the LA Marathon running expo. I bought it - as they said it was water resistant (no need for ziplock bags), and as it can also hold my car keys and ID.
    It's been pretty hot on my long runs, ("sweating"), but it didn't feel like I had anything on my arm, it didn't slip a bit, and my phone stayed dry. And I'm able to control the music via the screen.. this is the best deal out there in my view. I got a black - Sport 20, but they come in lot's of colors.

12. whitlecj macrumors member

The ArmPocket looks great. Would it work with an incase slider case on your phone? If so, I am sold. Thanks.

13. EatMyApple macrumors 6502

I am hoping it also works with a case. I went ahead and ordered one and hope it works with my Speck Candyshell case. If not, I got other uses for it.

14. whitlecj macrumors member

I went ahead and ordered also. I called the company before I ordered and they said that is should would work fine with my incase slider so hopefully you will be covered as well. Thanks.

15. EatMyApple macrumors 6502

Sweet! Thanks for the info about the call to them. Fingers crossed!

16. whitlecj macrumors member

No problem!

17. avigalante macrumors 6502

avigalante

Please post some pictures and a review when you get a chance!

18. whitlecj macrumors member

Will do.

19. jennie1984 macrumors newbie

I bought an Armpocket at the Seattle Rock N Roll marathon expo. I love it!!
    It looks like there is plenty room for a case - I don't use one - just my iPhone, but there is room for my keys, lip balm, gels and more - so I think a case would be fine too.

20. EatMyApple macrumors 6502

Good news! Now I am excited!

21. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

22. EatMyApple macrumors 6502

I got my ArmPocket 20 in today. I will give it a go tonight and see how it works out.

23. surfer99 macrumors 6502

Does anyone else think the Armpocket is a little to bulky? I am still looking to find the perfect armband that holds only the iphone. I am really really really hoping that Nike will end up making one just as they do for the ipod nano.

24. Xanderprime macrumors member

Yeah it is. I have the armpocket 30 which is the largest size (no choice for me due to arm size) and find that the phone has too much room to move around. The headphone opening helps keep it in place but the phone is not locked in. That being said, I think it's made well and will probably keep it as I could use the room for other stuff like keys and cards.

25. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

Yeah, nothing like running with a giant brick in the pocket.