3gs screen changed out and no worky?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by j2048b, May 27, 2011.

1. j2048b macrumors 6502a

2nd time changing out screen, and this time i bought 2 screens with digitizer, and when i plug it in to charge it, it makes the sound of the connector being plugged in, i dont have any vibration, and the screen shows nothing!!

any suggestions as to what it could be?

it was dropped !

thanks

2. beachdaman macrumors newbie

Try ...

some times the connectors wiggle lose as you put the screen back in place...

Try reopening it up and putting some spongy type material on the back of the connectors to compress them down when you put the screen back.

3. j2048b thread starter macrumors 6502a

nope, no go! the ringer/vibrate switch does not even make a vibration feeling any more when switched!

weird! maybe i broke something internally?

thanks

4. beachdaman macrumors newbie

Did you remove motherboard?

when you replaced screen did you remove the motherboard? or touch any connectors other than 1, 2, 3?

5. j2048b thread starter macrumors 6502a

nope, just removed 1,2,3

6. beachdaman macrumors newbie

Couple of things to try...

Might not be necessary to say, but before doing these things, power your phone down.

First try replacing the original broken screen back and see if lights up... if so the maybe you got a bum lcd/connector from your supplier.

Second, try pulling up the connectors 4/5/6 and then reconnecting them.

Third, take a look at the vibrator portion and see if it looks shifted from the drop, perhaps it just needs to be shifted back to make contact with the connectors.

7. j2048b thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok will do, i got 2 different screens, tried them both and no go! put one in my mother in laws phone and it worked, tried the other one, and it worked! it shows up in itunes, just does not display anything on the screen, maybe it is the digitizer screen under neath the screen itself, but doubt it.

i doubt it is due to the fact that the ringer/vibrater switch makes no vibration when switched.

will try to see if the vibration part got dinged?

8. beachdaman macrumors newbie

I meant for you to try putting your old screen back and seeing if it works on your phone. It sounds like your motherboard is fine (since the ding probably indicates that itunes is recognizing the iphone). your screen is made up of two components, an lcd (which displays) and a digitizer that lets your fingers do the "walking". Since your screen is not showing up, I'd guess that the LCD portion is busted somehow. Either the connectors are shorted, the cable is bad, or the LCD is bad. Try removing the old LCD from your cracked digitizer and using that instead of the new LCD. should be plenty of google/youtube videos to show you how to do it.

9. j2048b, May 27, 2011
    Last edited: May 27, 2011

j2048b thread starter macrumors 6502a

I already tried that, the screen has been replaced 3 times now, and the two i purchased do not show up. I believe it is the main lcd now? that and possibly the ringer/silencer switch, but then again it does not give a vibration as it use to do when switched from ringer to vibrator,

so i may need to order a lcd inctead of a screen with digitizer on it?

sorry, i never had to purchase an lcd, just the screen with digitizer, home button and speaker etc... but never the lcd

10. beachdaman macrumors newbie

Hm, can you try taking your old LCD and putting it with a new digitizer? Can you upload a picture of what you are working with?

11. j2048b thread starter macrumors 6502a

haha i dont have an old lcd, i have the black csreen that is below the glass, and the glass that is in top !

so all i have ever done is taken the screen off, removed the 6ish screws and pulled the glass screen off the black type screen from underneath it, replaced the top glass portion and re used the black screen underneath it.

it must either be broken, or the phone has some issues?