3GS - screen cracked, dead pixels

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by gahwhatever, Jun 28, 2010.

1. gahwhatever macrumors newbie

Friday night I dropped my phone and it looks like there's about a 2 inch crack on the screen (not the outer glass, if that makes sense). I didn't really care, because it's still usable, and I'm sure the resale value tanked months ago with the iPhone 4 leaks. However this morning I found a horizontal line of dead pixels, about the width of an app icon. Again, not a huge deal, but I'm worried this might be progressive and end up killing the entire screen. Has anyone had dead pixel areas/cracks expand over time, or has the damage been done?

Thanks!

2. gahwhatever thread starter macrumors newbie

So I guess I'm answering my own question here...the line of dead pixels has about doubled in length over the past 24 hours.

3. gahwhatever thread starter macrumors newbie

Bumping....the dead pixel "line" has now thickened to a height of about 3 lines, and still extending width wise.

At this pace, it'll still take a long time until the phone becomes unusable, but is there anything I can do to halt the progress?

I've heard about a dead pixel fixer on Cydia but I'm assuming that's not appropriate for this problem?

4. barroE macrumors newbie

nope, dude sorrry to be the bearer of bad news but theres no way to fix that, just pay a new lcd off ebay? there rather cheap

5. gahwhatever thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, *sigh* figured. Might just be time for an iPhone 4.

The dead pixels have now started crawling up and down what I thought was the innocent, initial crack and are expanding width wise.

The growth is actually really creepy to watch. ("It's alive!")