3GS Screen is Suddenly Harder to Clean & Keep Clean

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by hsk, Oct 9, 2009.

1. hsk macrumors regular

Someone posted something similar to this a few months ago and I could not find it. All of the sudden - literally 2 days ago - my 3GS is almost impossible to wipe clean. I have tried to different microfiber cloths (I know they sometimes get "build up") and even used a towel (which worked pretty good), but the screen smudges up easily and is hard as heck to clean off. Used to be very easy but something has changed. Maybe my body oil?? :rolleyes: Has anyone else experienced this?

2. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

lol

Could also be that your oleophobic coating is beginning to wear off.

3. hsk thread starter macrumors regular

That's what I thought of first, but I don't have the discoloration as other people have had. The screen still looks uniform and it can be cleaned, it's just a heck of a lot harder to do.

4. army91c macrumors 6502a

I have found mine being harder to clean as well. The wipe or two that used to work no longer does, it takes many more wipes to do the job.

Also just wiped it with an alcohol pad.... it used to bead up like a highly waxed car now it still beads up but only around the edges, the middle of the phone does not. Not sure what it means but there obviously has been a change.

5. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Just what Apple says NOT to do!:D

6. andylyon macrumors 6502a

andylyon

Yeah i've had mine just under 3 months and am beginning to think it is harder to clean. It will get clean just takes a lot more time to get rid of smudges.

AnDy

7. aleni macrumors 68020

3 months here too! used to be so easy to clean as a swipe or to make it so glossy. but now, it's harder to clean up, especially since i peeled off the invisible screen off of it. i guess the orphoabelic coating whatever has worn up pretty fast.

8. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

I'm the guy who posted about this back at the beginning of August, only to be told my fingers must have somehow become dirtier than they had been. :rolleyes:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=761151

I ended up having my 3GS replaced about two weeks ago and sure enough, the first thing I noticed about the new phone was how easy it was to clean the screen. Guess I wasn't crazy after all ... ;)

9. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

agree, 3.1.2 should fix this:rolleyes:

10. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

That would imply to me that the coating's worn off.

I don't think that the coating wearing through should produce any discoloration - it's a transparent coating on a transparent surface. You'll just find that the screen will become gradually more difficult to clean, until it's more or less like the old 3G. Nature of the beast.

Same thing's happened to me, for what it's worth.

11. hsk thread starter macrumors regular

I switched from a microfiber cloth to a regular washcloth and that works better. But if the coating is wearing off in 3-4 months, why would they bother?

Thanks mavis - yes, it was you I remember.

12. army91c macrumors 6502a

I have been cleaning my i's with alcohol forever. Never had an issue.... they also tell me not to jailbreak but I still do ;)

13. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Simply stating a fact.