3Gs Screen Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BullittMustang, Jun 9, 2009.

1. BullittMustang macrumors 6502a

Does anyone know if the new 3Gs will use the same 2 piece screen that the
    3G uses? If it collects dust under the screen I don't want it. That would drive me crazy. I like the way my 2G is made. I hope they go back to that setup.

2. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

sadly the original had the best build quality. I would be surprised if the 3GS is an improvement over the 3G.

3. BullittMustang thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah that's what scares me about ordering one. Is there anyone who doesn't have dust under the screen on a 3G? I work in a dusty environment and don't want the phone looking like a snow globe.

4. Caris macrumors 6502a

Caris

After about 6 month I have 1 or 2 specks under the screen, it's hardly a reason not to get one.

5. hefeglass macrumors 6502a

i keep reading about dust under the screen..
    i work in a glass blowing studio all day long and i dont have any thing under my screen yet. The phone isnt THAT old..but i dont use any case..and i keep it in my pocket with lint and all that. My old LG phone had crap under the screen after a couple days..my iphone doesnt yet.

6. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I'm with everyone else in hoping they try to emulate the build of the original more than the 3G.

If I'm not mistaken the screen was split into two components to make replacements easier and more cost effective for Apple (not having to replace digitizer AND glass or put the effort into separating the two).

7. BullittMustang thread starter macrumors 6502a

You are right that was the reason that I heard also. I would rather pay more to repair my phone if it cracks than have a two component screen with dust under it.

8. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I'd be fine with them assembling the screens in the same fashion as the 3G if they'd put more quality control in their assembly plants to reduce screen/bezel separations and provide headphone jack/dock connector plugs with the phone.

Are those little rubber components too much to ask for? Would they break Apple's bank?

9. BullittMustang thread starter macrumors 6502a

I would assume that they use some sort of gasket between the two pieces?

10. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Yes. There's a rubber gasket on the 3G between the bezel and glass that wasn't present on the original. I can't think of a good reason for the change except to maybe absorb some shock from impact but from what I've heard 3G's are more likely to break from falls than the tanks that are the original iPhones.

11. BullittMustang thread starter macrumors 6502a

The gasket should keep the dust from getting under the screen. Maybe that is what needs to be redesigned, or maybe it doesn't get positioned right on some of the phones. That could be why some get dust and others don't.

12. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

It's completely apparent why dust is getting under the screens. Have a look at 90% (rough estimate; judging from personal experience) of the 3G's sold. There's light leaks. Gaps between the glass/gasket or gasket/bezel. That's why I mentioned quality control.

One of the 3G's I had replaced had a gap so wide I could see some of the internal components of the phone. Ridiculous.

13. BullittMustang thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah that's BS. I still have the original 2G never had to exchange it or had any problems with it. I think I may order the 3G though.