3GS seems frozen after Erasing

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by hayzen, Dec 8, 2010.

1. hayzen macrumors newbie

I'm giving my 3GS to a relative and I want to clear all my data first before giving it to them.

I went to Settings > General > Erase All Content and Settings

After confirming I wanted to erase, I saw the Apple logo and a bar. After that, the bar disappeared and only the Apple logo was there. The logo stayed there for a long time and then the screen would go black, and then the logo would appear again. This has been repeating for a few hours now.

My 3GS was originally locked but I unlocked it and it's currently at 4.0. I was going to update to 4.2.1 and unlock but heard that gps may not work anymore if I update so I decided to just Erase instead.

Does it really take this long to erase everything? Or is it frozen or stuck in some kind of loop? Should I give the erasing a few more hours?

If it's still stuck, what should I do? I just want to be able to clear my data, unlock my phone, and make sure gps works. Thoughts?

2. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

You should have hit "erase all contents" <--big no-no. Now your only option is to put your iPhone in DFU mode and restore to 4.2.1

If you by any chance had the shsh files saved for 4.0 you can restore back. If not 4.2.1 is your only option.

3. hayzen thread starter macrumors newbie

Good thing I used Tiny Umbrella to back up my shsh blobs. Restored it to 4.0 for now and waiting till they fix 4.2.1. Thanks for the help.

4. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

No problem