Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redsox786

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2006
I just upgraded my iPhone 3GS from 4.0 to 4.1 using the latest version of PwnageTool a few days ago. But I'm noticing that my battery drains its power much more quickly than 4.0. I can't even last more than 3-4 hrs. before it's completely dead. When I had 4.0, the battery use to last me a whole day! Is there anything I can do to improve battery life? I've turned down my brightness all the way and have even turned off wi-fi when I'm not using it. Can I revert back to 4.0? Please help!

babbit

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2010
I'm having the same issue with my 3GS. From 100% battery idling about 5 hours brings the battery all the way to 0. This happened right after I updated to iOS4.1. I tried restoring as a new phone and wiping everything so it's like I just bought it, turned all radios off (BT, cell, wifi, etc...), turned off notifications, turned off push, turned off tethering, turned down brightness almost all the way down, turned off sound. Tried airplane mode on and off.

Also, I killed off all running tasks. CPU usage is pretty high (jumps around from 20-60%) even when I'm not doing anything. Note that this is with no apps installed except for a free cpu monitor (i forgot the name because I uninstalled it just in case it was a culprit).

If I do use the phone a little, my battery drops to about 3 hours just like the OP. Also, my phone is not jailbroken and never has been. The day before I upgraded, my phone could easily last 2 days before charging and I actually did use my phone a lot. Now, I'm scared to even make a phone call because a call would literally wipe away 20% of my battery.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.