3GS Shipping Delay?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lego8, Jul 14, 2009.

1. lego8 macrumors regular

lego8

I ordered a black iPhone 3GS on Saturday, July 11th, and it has yet to be even shipped. Is this usual? Anybody else have this problem? When might it start making its way from China to America?

2. dave006 macrumors 68020

Well you left out some important details. Depending where and how you ordered, it might already be in the US just waiting for processing.

Did you order from AT&T or Apple?

For now let's guess you orderd from Apple.com. It will not ship from China until your AT&T account is created for a new account, your upgrade status is checked and your credit review is processed.

Opps, almost forgot, are you porting a number from another carrier? This also adds time as there are few more steps in the process prior to shipment.

Dave

3. lego8 thread starter macrumors regular

lego8

Sorry, Dave, you're right. I should have included that info.

I ordered from Apple.com. I am upgrading from an existing ATT Wireless account, which I checked is eligible for an upgrade.

4. thor79 macrumors 6502

thor79

Activation (ie assigning a number to the phone) is done at the store when you pick up the phone...it does not impact shipping time. Pretty sure creating your account also happens when you pick up the phone. Shipping is all about getting the actual phone to you or your store.

When I ordered my 3GS I did it on Friday, it shipped on Monday and I had it in my hands on Tuesday. That beat the guys estimation of 3-4 business days....and the guarantee of 7-10 business days. You're still within that guarantee timeframe if you ordered from AT&T...so just be patient.

Edit: Apple.com...my dad ordered from there too...though he ordered for delivery on Launch day so it's a bit different. Everything is done when you get the phone...you activate through iTunes and that's when the phone is associated with your number. It does not affect shipping.

5. lego8 thread starter macrumors regular

lego8

It sounds like you ordered yours from ATT, not Apple. Did it come from China? 1 Day shipping is impressive if it did. Unfortunately, I think Apple ships from China, so I doubt now that I'll have the phone by the end of this week.

6. matty1551 macrumors 6502

It is probably on backorder if you ordered from ATT. I ordered mine a few days before you and it is supposed to be here tomorrow but i was upset when I called the other day and they told me it was backordered because throughout the whole checkout process it never once informed me of this.

7. dave006 macrumors 68020

No, if you order from Apple.com the phone is configured for the number that your used during the actual order process at Apple.com. In the case of a port, the port is started and in some cases customers have lost their current service due to errors made during the process. You will receive an email with your new phone number if your are opening a new account before you receive the phone from Apple.

The Apple.com orders come directly from Shenzhen China via UPS or FedEx depending on the shipping selection you made at the time of purchase on Apple.com.

One of the last step in the fulfilment process, your phone is scanned and the IMEI and the ICCID are tied to your AT&T line of service. Once you open the phone and connect to iTunes to complete the actiivation it will already show your phone number and you will be prompted to provide your last 4 digits of your SSN and the ZIPCODE information to complete the activation. If you choose to use your existing AT&T SIM, you can just swap it in before you connect to iTunes. This information is already loaded in the iTunes DB based on the scan that was done in Shenzhen.

Dave

8. lego8 thread starter macrumors regular

lego8

Can others comment on their shipping experience?

9. MasterTick macrumors 6502

I ordered mine on July 6th and it only shipped this monday.

10. lego8 thread starter macrumors regular

lego8

Now the phone is "Preparing to be Shipped" according to Apple.com. How soon can I expect to see this ship out?

11. MasterTick macrumors 6502

Mine stayed that way for about 12 hours or so. I also got my phone in the mail today. I used the express shipping.