Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
Genius can run a test on the phone that shows signal level and dropped call log (the iphone actually logs data on this stuff). From that diagnostic they can determine if the radio in the phone is bad, requiring a replacement.

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
So is that the AT&T network is bad atm, the iPhone 3GS signal is shocking, or some people are getting ones with bad batteries and bad signals (requiring a replacement)?

I'm in Australia, and I am on the 3 Network, I want to buy an iPhone 3GS 32GB (unlocked), and get it working, but not if I'll have no signal? can I take it back if there is none?

Kind Regards

titaniummd

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2009
I actually get significantly better reception where I live. Side-by-side, I have compared my 3GS to 3G phones in different areas and I get 3-4 3G Bar signal whereas the 3G gets 2-3 Edge signal.

It is likely variable based upon location.

AHDuke99

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2002
Charleston, SC
I get zero bars now at my beach house, and with the 3G I got 3-4 bars most of the time on EDGE (no 3G out there). I am wondering if the EDGE chipset in the 3GS is much weaker than the one in the 3G. The 3G reception seems about the same, but EDGE is much weaker.

It really is a problem though. I'm wondering if I need to take my old RAZR with me now to use when I am out there, because I don't like being without a phone.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
I having the same issue

my 3g was almost always 5 bars in my house the 3GS goes up and down I had it drop call etc. I might have to call the Apple store and go talk to them. so far this the only thing I am not happy with my phone..

sal

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2007
So you are getting better signal strength with your 3gs over your 3g?
I upgraded from the first gen and yes, I am getting better signal strength with the 3gs than I did with my 2g.

5 bars compared to 3 bars.

Morn

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2005
Seems slightly worse on Optus here in Australia. Finding it goes to GPRS more often. But it's not significantly worse enough to worry about, Optus was already plenty bad on the 3G. ;)
Can't tell any difference on Telstra's network, their network is amazing and it's nearly always full bars anyway.

Nicholas.C

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2008
My 3GS signal is better then my 3G signal. At the moment, I have four bars on one phone, and full bars on my 3GS.

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
There is absolutely no doubt the 3GS has MUCH poorer reception.

I drove down the M6 from Manchester to Birmingham last night and I had 3G reception for about 2 minutes in the 90 minute journey.

Much of it had no data reception at all.

It's awful compared to my 3G iPhone.

Definately a bug.

Reported to Apple.

Cancelled
Aug 25, 2008
wow it's not like there are 20 other factors that could play into this :rolleyes:

funny how everyone says they have worse reception, yet I have yet to see a single proof of evidence

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
I have 4 iPhones in my house. 2 3g and 2 3gs

The 3gs continually perform the worst no matter where I am in the uk.

For me I don't need any more proof and I stand by my statement that the 3gs has a poorer reception than the 3g. Unless of course I have TWO faulty phones.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
I have 4 iPhones in my house. 2 3g and 2 3gs

The 3gs continually perform the worst no matter where I am in the uk.

For me I don't need any more proof and I stand by my statement that the 3gs has a poorer reception than the 3g. Unless of course I have TWO faulty phones.

Or maybe a simple firmware update from Apple will tweak the radio reception in the 3GS and solve your problems.

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
Which is exactly what they did with the iPhone 3g last year and a software update fixed the problem.

Let's hope the 3gs fix is not too far away.

I've had a 3g since day 1 and the performance of my 3gs radio reception on my new phone is blindingly obvious.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Suboptimal iPhone 3GS reception as well, though clearly part of it is AT&T's fault since the iPhone 3G had it's own signal issues here.

I'm expecting the BlackBerry Tour I have on order will have none of these issues.

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
Anyone else in AUS have any feed back on how their 3GS reception is?

Is it more likely the 3GS has a flaw with it's radio transmitter, or AT&T is just really bad :O?

Should I wait a few weeks before buying the 3GS, if at all? currently just have a 2nd gen touch :D

Kind Regards

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
Another thing the 3gs does it sit there for ages with no signal at all.

Turn airplane mode off and on and bam, full signal and 3g.

Apple please sort this. I'm beginng to hate the phone that I've loved for the l past 12 months :(

macmedal

macrumors regular
May 17, 2008
Britannia
I have upgraded from a year with 3G to 3GS. I regularily travel by train and I know where the black spots are on the journey for data connections which on the 3G goes from GPRS to Edge to 3g on the 02 network but with the exception of one area rarely had no signal. With my 3GS nearly half the journey shows No Signal. I have also noticed that the signal strength indicator often shows no signal in 3G or Edge but still holds the E or 3G symbol not sure if this is a 3.0 feature but my 3G never did this as it would switch to GPRS instead. I also agree when it jumps to no signal it takes a Long time to recover a signal. As previously said switching airplane mode off and back on resolves this No Signal time out. Not so happy so far with 3GS experience!

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
I haven't had any issues in fact i was in a bulding where people with other phones weren't getting any signal and my 3GS managed 1-3 bars and i could make calls just fine.

*Shrug*

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
If you e-mail apple about this, do they actually reply :O?

If they would I'd just ask, whether it's the network, the phone, or a combo, I really want a 3G O_O hope they get some fix soon! beats my Nokia N95, heck a stick is more entertaining than it :D

parguy69

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2009
Signal Reception is Inconsistent

I just bought an iPhone 3GS as my first iPhone. I've had signal reception issues since I first activated it. It will have 2 or 3 bars and then (while staying in the same place) it will go down to "no service". I've traveled a bit in the last week and reception will be 5 bars and a few minutes later go down to 2 or 3 bars. Obviusly the worst condition is when it goes from some bars to none. I called AT&T when I activated the phone and they said it was poor 3g coverage in my area, although the coverage map shows me in the best reception area. It looks like an Apple problem, especially since I'm not the only one experiencing this problem.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Maybe you guys should try resetting your network settings and see if that helps

Gershon

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2009
Genius can run a test on the phone that shows signal level and dropped call log (the iphone actually logs data on this stuff). From that diagnostic they can determine if the radio in the phone is bad, requiring a replacement.

yeah. u should go to apple n run a check to see if it's ok..:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.