3GS Stuck in DFU mode

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Drift Monkey, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Drift Monkey macrumors newbie

I got a hold of a 3GS (new bootrom) that was on 4.0.2 and decided to simply downgrade to 4.0.1 to simplify the JB/unlock process. Along the way, I encountered some errors (1600) that didn't let me downgrade, which prompted me to use iREB to bypass the errors. The restore loaded fine but now I'm stuck in DFU mode? Any ideas?

Thanks!

2. wolfgang666 macrumors regular

try using tiny umbrella to kick it out of recovery...

3. Drift Monkey thread starter macrumors newbie

Tried that, problem is...it doesn't show up in TU. I tried, and am able to, load the .ipsw and it'll restore again, but I still get the same end result.

4. noiceT macrumors 6502a

Do you have shsh saved for 4.0.1 for that phone?

If you don't, you can't downgrade.

5. wolfgang666 macrumors regular

if the phone can be recognised by itunes i dnt see a problem with it showing up on TU. are you sure if you have the TSS server running when you are trying to restore and that if you have the 4.0.1 shsh saved??

6. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Are you sure your phone has its 4.0.1 SHSH on file? And that you correctly used TinyUmbrella or .hosts file editing to redirect the signature request?

7. Drift Monkey thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, IIRC, I don't think this phone was previously jailbroken, so it's probably missing SHSH blobs. Makes sense, thanks for all y'all's help.

What to do now though? Upgrade to 4.2.1? I don't want to use the custom iPad firmware so...

8. wolfgang666 macrumors regular

wait for the new JB and unlock to come out after the new iOS is out.. if you dont wanna use the ipad bb, this is your only option...

9. Drift Monkey thread starter macrumors newbie

Gotcha, so I'm SOL for now huh? Any idea when the new iOS is supposed to be released?

Thanks for your help!

10. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

Well, if you check on the main MR site, another beta for 4.3 was just released.
    It all depends on if there are any bugs, but since this is the second one, i'd have to say a few months worst case scenario, and maybe a few weeks best case?

11. Drift Monkey thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I did notice that the beta was released...I guess I'll just play the waiting game now. :eek:

12. noiceT macrumors 6502a

You're waiting for nothing.. from now on it's ipad bb or nothing.
    Recent MN tweet:

"@lomokoso however, Apple decided (see 4.3b1) not to chase the 3GS BB version # past iPad 06.15, and they aren't even doing 4.3 for 3G..."

“@MuscleNerd: Because there's no 4.3 beta for iPhone3G, it's effectively unlocked for life via the 06.15 ultrasn0w unlock”

13. Drift Monkey thread starter macrumors newbie

Old thread bump!

So the only way to unlock this is phone is to upgrade to the ipad 06.15 baseband? I'd rather retain the GPS function and use an older firmware...is that even possible anymore given this phone has never been jailbroken?

14. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

What firmware and baseband currently on the phone now?

15. Drift Monkey thread starter macrumors newbie

firmware - nothing. 4.0.1..tried to restore to it anyway...but no SHSH blobs since it was previously never jailbroken. it's sitting in DFU right now.

baseband - not 100% sure, but I know for sure it ain't 06.15.

16. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

If that the case, your baseband should be around 04.26. So, use pwnage tool or snowbreeze to cook a customs 4.3.3 firmware and then restore to that customs firmware so it can preserve the baseband. Once it's done, install ultrasn0w from Cydia to unlock it.

If you restore to Apple office firmware now, your baseband will be 05.16. Ultrasn0w can't unlock this baseband and they only way you want to unlock is to install ipad baseband.

17. Drift Monkey thread starter macrumors newbie

I cooked a custom 4.3.3 and tried to restore it using itunes...but I keep getting error 1600?

18. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Did you try iREB or TU to kick it out of recovery?

19. Drift Monkey thread starter macrumors newbie

Found iREB right before you posted...looks to be working now, thanks! :) As soon as it's up, I'll try to find the baseband.

20. Drift Monkey thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright I got the custom firmware to load...but the phone is acting pretty strange now. No modem firmware...wifi and bluetooth don't show up either. That and it reboots sporatically...hmmm...

21. Drift Monkey thread starter macrumors newbie

22. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

You require unlock? I would just wait for the team on 4.3.3 and newer baseband.

23. Drift Monkey thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, ideally I would. Phone is on 4.3.3 now...just trying to figure out why it's acting strange.

24. umeshgaire macrumors newbie

Solved Problem Stuck in DFU..

If you have problem still: Read Here

25. Drift Monkey thread starter macrumors newbie

My phone isn't in DFU mode anymore...I updated to a cooked 4.3.3, but it's weird now. I can't see my modem firmware and the wifi/bluetooth shows up as disabled. The phone also reboots itself after a few minutes of being on...not sure what to do now...:confused: