3gs stuck on Apple logo, please help

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by PaHtSaN, Oct 14, 2010.

1. PaHtSaN macrumors regular

Guys I have a very very serious problem, and if someone helps me solve this without me losing the ability to unlock I will literally paypal you $10. My jailbroken 3gs is stuck on the apple logo after erase all content and settings, I know that I can put this into dfu and restore through itunes, but then I will lose the ability to unlock. Is there ANY way to snap it out without upgrading the baseband and ofcourse being able to unlock??? The thing is there are too many details, but this phone needs to be unlocked and jailbroken by tomorrow morning. $10 for help please.

2. Ksane macrumors regular

I don't care about the $10 and I have an iPad not an iPhone....but it might be possible to use Tiny Umbrella with the "kick it out of recovery" option.
    It's worth reading up on anyway.
    Good luck.

3. PaHtSaN thread starter macrumors regular

do you mean put it in dfu, connect to tiny umbrella, and then hit kick out of recovery? if it works then youre the man.

4. PaHtSaN thread starter macrumors regular

Anyway, I tried this, and it just went back to the Apple logo. Im 99% sure im screwed at this poing, but thanks for trying to help. I really wish an unlock came out with that jailbreak :-/

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Why did you “erase all.” In the future, don’t do that EVER on a jailbroken device.

Do you have your blobs saved? If not, you’re SOL.

6. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Assuming you had your SHSH blobs saved in Cydia:

1. Download TinyUmbrella and w/e FW version ipsw (get it from here)you have the shsh blobs saved for (ie if you were on 4.0 and had saved your 4.0 blobs, then download the 4.0 ipsw).

2. Enter DFU mode and connect iPhone to your computer.

3. Open TinyUmbrella. Confirm that you have your SHSH for the correct FW version saved (choose your phone in the left menu, tick Advanced Options, then open the menu that will appear and select iPhone3GS/x.x.x (x.x.x being your download IPSW's firmware version) and click Save my SHSH). It should say SHSH blobs cached if the blobs had been saved on Cydia's server.

4. Click Start TSS Server. iTunes should close and re-open (if it was open). Otherwise open iTunes. [DO NOT CLOSE TINYUMBRELLA UNTIL THE END]

5. iTunes will say that it has detected an iPhone in recovery mode and that you must restore to use your iPhone. Click OK.

6. Shift-click Restore (on a PC) or Alt-click (on a Mac). In the Explorer/Finder window that pops up, navigate to your downloaded IPSW and click OK.

7. iPhone should restore to your IPSW's firmware. Again, TinyUmbrella must be open throughout this entire process.

8. Done- jailbreak and unlock your phone.

If you get Error 1600, click 'Kick device out of recovery' in TinyUmbrella.

If step 4 fails, add '74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com' to your hosts file.
    In Windows, the host file is located in 'c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\'
    On the Mac, the host file is located in '/private/etc/hosts'.

You may need to get root access to write to these files. Google on how to do it.

Hope this helps.

7. PaHtSaN thread starter macrumors regular

8. PaHtSaN thread starter macrumors regular

About to try this right now, thanks

9. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-gb; MB300 Build/Blur_Version.2.0.26.MB200.T-Mobile.en.US Flex/P021) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

Should probably add- if you get any error after restoring try kicking the device out of recovery mode in tinyumbrella. i can't remember the exact error code my iP4 got (Kick Device out of recovery fixed that)

10. PaHtSaN thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the advice, I wanted to try this method, but for some reason when I try to put this phone into DFU now the battery instantly drains and the phone dies. Even if it was charging for hours beforehand. :confused:

Strange because earlier the phone did go into DFU without problem. I was thinking about maybe buying a used and cosmetically damaged 3gs for cheap and switching out the motherboard, its a shame to let this phone go since I took such good care of it.

11. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Maybe your battery is dead? Hell of a coincidence if it was so but you never know...

12. PaHtSaN thread starter macrumors regular

Its really really strange. The battery doesn't die until I attempt DFU mode. Looks like this phone is at least temp out of service.

Thanks again for the help!

13. PaHtSaN, Nov 7, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2010

PaHtSaN thread starter macrumors regular

You were right, hell of a coincidence, but It was the battery. I just replaced it today and restored to 4.1. The problem is that it works for 5-10 min then the phone reboots. Could it be because I used a 3g battery on the 3gs? Or maybe some connector is loose? Is the 3g and 3gs battery identical? Either way, I'm happy I finally brought this phone back to life. Kind of.

Edit: Now that I think about it, the battery that I used was kind of crappy. Thats probably the reason.