3gs stuck on loading circle

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by tractorboy, Jan 2, 2012.

1. tractorboy macrumors newbie

Hi guys, I’m new to this, so an idiots guide if possible, a friend of mine bought a phone off of a guy, it was working fine and she took it to be jailbroken, I believe it was with redsnow, the phone played up and I managed a dfu restore through iTunes, it then required an "activation", my friend then took it to a shop and they got the icons up on the screen but told her the bloke who had "jailbroken" the phone had "semi bricked" the phone and her best bet was just to get rid of it, the phone then was allowed to go flat and comes on apple logo for approx 5 mins then the loading circle which freezes instantly, then does nothing at all, I do know when the shop done the activation a pineapple come up. I can get the phone into DFU mode and is recognised in iTunes.
    What I want to know is there anything that can be done for this phone, it is not blacklisted, it was checked by Apple.

2. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Put it into DFU mode, restore with Itunes which it will have 5.0.1 firmware on it. Then, jailbreak it with redsn0w 0.9.10b3. It is untethered jailbreak.

3. tractorboy thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry to appear to be thick but where is the best place to find redsn0w 0.9.10b3.

Thankyou

4. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

5. tractorboy thread starter macrumors newbie

6. tractorboy thread starter macrumors newbie

just spent the last hour in DFU mode trying to restore and am getting "error 21" message, i currently have the lastest itunes and am using windows xp, does anyone have any suggestions :mad:

7. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Follow the instruction on this thread;

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1300041

8. tractorboy thread starter macrumors newbie

Crystal Rx you are a god, i have now managed to sort it out, activate jailbreak add cydia etc, everything is up and working, EXCEPT i'm getting no service, i have however up till now only used an orange sim card sim as i have no others to try, how can i now see if the service is blocked bricked etc, when first bought my friend did ring apple and it wasnt registered blacklisted.
    Woule really appriciate anymore help and many thanks for the help up till now

9. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

check to see what the baseband on your phone. Go to setting, general, about and look at the modem firmware. Give me that #. Thanks.

10. tractorboy thread starter macrumors newbie

11. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Did you install Ultrasn0w? if not, then do the following;

Open Cydia, search for Ultrasn0w, install it. If you are in US and want to use it with T-Mobile, then disable 3G in network setting, reboot and you are good to go.

12. tractorboy thread starter macrumors newbie

Done all of the above, and it is still searching for approx 10 mins, based in uk.
    Is there anything I may may have done wrong, do I have to do anything with ultrasnow except install from Cydia??

Thankyou.

13. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

reflash Ipad baseband.

14. tractorboy thread starter macrumors newbie

15. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Run redsn0w and click on "install Ipad baseband".

16. tractorboy thread starter macrumors newbie

You are a hero, many many thanks for helping me sort that out, all working fine.
    Just 2 more questions though please, will i need to reinstall all of that again if i change the battery over or is it stored in a internal memory, and
    Are these the same programs i will need if i upgrade my 3g as that is now saying there is a new update available.

Many thanks Crystal Rx for all your hard work and information and i hope i can keep in touch to learn from a absolute legend.

Goodluck

17. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

1. You do need to do anything when you change/replace new battery on your phone. It will store that in the internal memory. However, in order for Cydia to load, make sure to set up the date and time to current.

2. If your phone is at 4.2.1, then that is the latest firmware and there isn't any new update. You probably get notification about iTunes update which is different. Just need clarification from you on this.

Enjoy your phone.