3GS to 4.0/4.0.1 possible?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Drift Monkey, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Drift Monkey macrumors newbie

I've been searching for a while (with no avail) but I figured I might as well ask here...

I'm trying to upgrade my roommate's 3GS to 4.0.1. It's currently jailbroken/unlocked on 3.1.3 has the new bootrom [iBoot-359.3.2] with baseband 05.12.01. Cydia shows SHSHs for iOS4, 4.0.1, 4.0.2.

What are my options, if any? Thanks!

2. kre62 macrumors 68000

Step 1: Make sure your SHSH are saved by opening Cydia, and looking at the top of the homescreen.

Step 2: Download firmware for your device. http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=750

Step 3: Edit your hosts file to include this line:
    74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com
    On Windows: Open Notepad as an administrator. The hosts file is in windows\system32\drivers\etc\ The file does not have an extension, so change option to All Files to find it. For mac, google it.

Step 4: Open itunes, click your iphone, hold shift (option for mac) and click restore. Find your firmware and perform the restore. If your hosts file was edited right, and your SHSH backed up, iTunes will receive authorization and proceed with restore.

Step 5: Enjoy your iPhone on 4.0.1

3. Drift Monkey thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick reply. It seems to have gone through, but now I get a message on the iPhone to plug it into iTunes. iTunes displays: "The SIM card inserted in this iPhone does not appear to be supported."

What now?

4. kre62 macrumors 68000

Not sure, you can try the restore again, or just make sure your sim is in good working order. This isn't a usual error, as you saw you were able to restore just fine, so it's not the restore method. This method only allows iTunes to think its OK to proceed with the restore, other than that iTunes does all the work, exactly as if Apple were still signing firmwares. So try the restore again would be my suggestion.

5. Drift Monkey thread starter macrumors newbie

I actually ended up using my neighbor's AT&T sim to activate it, worked like a charm. I would have used mine but...microsim...heh.

Jailbreak went smoothly and all is well now. Thanks again! :D

6. kre62 macrumors 68000

No worries. The simplified method claims another victory.

7. iPhone-power macrumors 6502a

It's the same method every other person uses if the phone is currently working with no reboot or firmware issues.

There is no simplified method.

It's just more difficult if the phone firmware has been erased, corrupted or is in a reboot mode.

And if you wish to test your simplified mode claim, punch the erase all content and settings button, then try to restore without using DFU mode.
    I would like to hear your feedback to support you claims. Please get back to us.

8. kre62 macrumors 68000

The point is this method works for 99% of users. And I had a corrupted boot once and putting it into dfu mode did work with the above method so I still didn't need tinyumbrella. Sorry bro, when new users cone in here recommending tu is not a good idea.

9. iPhone-power macrumors 6502a

How can you say TinyUmbrella is not a good idea.
    It does work fine just as the method where you manually edit the hosts file works fine. It is a matter of choice and each poster is welcome to recommend their preferred choice.

But when you say TinyUmbrella is not a good idea, that is giving mis-information. There is nothing wrong with TinyUmbrella or the method you prefer. Best to be responsible in what one posts.