3gs to 4.? What Can I Do?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Ozamandiz, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Ozamandiz macrumors newbie

I'm had to put my iPhone away for about nine months and would like to begin using it again.

It was jailbroken using and older version of pwange (but not unlocked) on version 3.1.2 with baseband 4.26.08. I would like to jailbreak the phone but not have to tether it so it seems 4.1 is my best choice. But when I tried updating to 4.1 iTunes indicated the firmware is incompatible.

Is there anyway I can get to firmware 4.1? Or an earlier 4.x version?
    Or should I just wait for the untethered version of 4.2.1?

Or perhaps there are other options?

2. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

If the shsh blobs are saved for 4.1 then you can use PwnageTool v4.1.2 to upgrade.

Be sure to edit your host files so you can restore with the Cydia server. http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=7556

3. Ozamandiz thread starter macrumors newbie

Still No Go

Thanks for your help but unfortunately it did not work.

I did update the hosts file as instructed and saved it to the /etc folder. I then downloaded what I believed was a valid version of firmware 4.1 and finally obtained pwnage4.1.2 from the dev site.

Using pwnage and the downloaded 4.1 firmware a custom version of the firmware was developed. The pwnage tool indicated a successful build.

But again iTunes would not do a restore using the custom 4.1 firmware. I got the same message indicating that the present firmware, 3.1.2 jb with an older version of pwnage tool, could not be updated.

Are there any other options I could try!

Thanks again for any help.