3gs to 4s migration problems

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by johnnyfive622, Dec 30, 2011.

1. johnnyfive622 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,
    My wife had a iphone 3gs for a long time and we decided to upgrade her to the 4s. We backed up everything off her old phone and went up to buy the new one. While we were there, they said they could transfer the phone numbers, music, and pictures/video for us. They also told us that we could just hook the phone up to the computer and transfer all her old apps and texts and such from the backup.

When we got home, she noticed that she was missing her apps, her videos from her old phone are now still pictures of the first frame, her ringtones were gone, and some of her playlists are gone. We plugged her new 4s in to her computer to try to restore the old info. She got a message that said something like some of the files were not compatible with the new phone, so she was not able to restore what was missing or corrupt.

I am thinking this may be because her 4s had info on it from the store transfer and some new apps that she got on the way home that were not on the original phone. My first thought was to wipe the phone and start over from the itunes backup, but I am not sure that the files will transfer any better. I could use some suggestions on what steps to take from some of you who have a bit more experience. I dont want to wipe the phone only to find that the backup is corrupt or will not transfer correctly!

Thanks in advance!

2. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Is your itunes up to date?

I was able to go from an ipod 3rd gen to a 3gs and later to a iphone 4 with all the same backup. Then I hosed something jailbreaking and had to do a restore as new on the 4 but had no problem restoring that to a 4s now.

A restore as new is a PITA but sometimes necessary.

3. johnnyfive622 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the response and sorry for the slow reply. I had another idea of what we might do. I'd appreciate it if someone could confirm this will work. We have not set up icloud yet for her phone (new or old). If we back up the current setup on the phone with icloud and then try to wipe and restore, the current setup should remain available in icloud if the restore fails. Thus we will either be able to restore the old info, or restore the new info if the old backup is corrupt.

Does that seem right?

Thanks in advance!

4. johnnyfive622 thread starter macrumors newbie