3GS to 4S -- What is the process?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ScottW1, Oct 14, 2011.

1. ScottW1 macrumors regular

I'm over 50, so please type your response real slowly... :eek:

I had a 3GS, and it is backed up (synced) with iTunes. I just got a 4S.

I know I need to "activate" and "restore my backup", right? What order? Activate then restore, or vice versa? Anything I need to know about restoring the 3GS backup to the 4S?

Thanks in advance.

2. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

When you get your new iPhone, plug it into your computer and let iTunes sync it. It will ask you if you want to restore a backup. Just say yes. Let it run through.

3. wahoo10 macrumors 6502

Yup, this is a really easy process. What I did was pull it out of the box, turn it on, and go through those steps. Then, plugged it in to the computer, it asked if I wanted to set up a new phone or restore. I just did restore, so would you. I've done a restore twice now and been peachy keen both times. This time was absolutely seamless.

Really simple, Apple is designed to "just work" with little frustration. You should be just fine :D

4. ScottW1 thread starter macrumors regular

Sequence?

Thanks for the help.

Do I do this before activation, or after? Or does the activation occur as part of the sync process? :confused:

5. Redsand187 macrumors member

6. mloffa macrumors 6502a

mloffa

When you plug it in, iTunes will guide you through everything in the correct order. :) I'm pretty sure activation comes first. :eek:

7. qsoundrich macrumors member

Make sure you check Sync Contacts. It's not on by default!