3GS Turns Itself Off on 3G Network....

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Agent 21, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Agent 21 macrumors regular

So I've got a launch day AT&T 3GS running 4.2.1 jaikbroken. For a long time now it has just been deciding to turn itself off whenever im on 3G network and dip below 80% battery. This is without fail, if I'm not on Wi-Fi, or even Edge (or whatever that O network is), the instant the battery hits 80% the phone turns off. I'll be using it and it just goes black. I need to plug it in and wait a few minutes of the Apple logo screen and then it turns back on. I don't get it at all. It did this before I upgraded and re-jailbroke too (back when I was running 3.0, and then 3.2, and still doing it at 4.2), so I'm guessing it's not an issue with the jailbreak? Lately it's been doing it randomly BEFORE my 80% cutoff. It just did it to me a few mins ago and a couple minutes later when it turned on I had 98% battery.

Has anyone encountered this problem? It's SUPER inconvenient when you're out and the phone "dies" with almost a full battery and then you just don't have a phone to use until you can get to a charger. Figures this year Apple decides to not release the new iPhone until Fall, when I need a new phone NOW and they always come out this time of year lol. No point in wasting my upgrade on a 4 when the 5 comes out in a couple months.

By the way this issue doesn't happen when it's plugged in (naturally, since the battery meter doesn't go down). But I mean it's odd that the phone can be used for hours on end while plugged in perfectly fine but lterally a couple minutes of use makes it turn off, exactly like the battery died except it's got 80+% when it turns back on in a few minutes. There's no way the battery actually drained to 0 after a few minutes of use, and then magically charged 80-100% also after a few minutes.

Anythiughts/suggestions to maybe solve the issue, or make it happen less frequently, to hold me over til I see what the new phone is all about and decide if I'm upgrading to a 5 or just getting a 4? Thanks in advance.

2. accessoriesguy macrumors 6502a

it sounds like if your battery is dead. every time you use a rechargeable battery it slowly charges less and less, and once it passes its cycle, it will die exponentially faster, to the point that it no longer works well.

You should think of upgrading but with the iPhone 5 coming soon, maybe you should just wait. There are external battery chargers, that you can use to increase the battery life, its like adding another battery, what is nice about it is that you do not have to open it up. This way you can keep using your phone, until the new one arrives.

External Battery
    or this one
    External Battery 2

3. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

What accessoriesguy said. Sounds like a bad battery. If you're technologically competent, you could always replace the battery yourself! They run for about 15 bucks on eBay.