3GS UK price point + features

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wazza12345, Jun 9, 2009.

1. wazza12345 macrumors regular

can anyone advise what the difference would be in add-ons & functionality between the followng options (not including mins/txts)

pay monthly 32GB £35/month 18months = total cost of £890

PAYG 32GB + £20 Simplicity (inc free internet) over 18months = total cost of £898

so the PAYG option with simplicity is £8 more but you arent locked into a contract and can terminate or switch to whatever you choose. obvbiously you wont get free access to the "cloud" wifi spots, but is there anything else id be missing out on?

pay monthly £35/month = free net + 600mins & 500 txts
    simplicity £20/month = free net + 600mins & 1200 txts

discuss :D

2. Gilbare macrumors newbie

Visual voicemail I believe is one you'll miss out on. Not the end of the world though.

3. wazza12345 thread starter macrumors regular

Not a big loss when you consider you aren't tied into a contact though I suppose. I just get all edgy when I see that contract for 18 months! :)

4. Cardy macrumors member

I'm going to do the same with the 16gb model. £815 to be tied into a contract, £782 with simplicity.

I'll use the phone until next years comes out, flog it and buy the new one and not have o2 tell me what I can and can't buy.

Basically, anyone who can afford the £440 upfront is not only financially better off doing this, they'll also be contract free.

5. wazza12345 thread starter macrumors regular

6. wazza12345 thread starter macrumors regular

All valid points. I can't see why anyone would be opting for the contract option except, as you said, if they can't afford the up front cost of the phone. But if they can't id be questioning whether they should be purchasing such an expensive bit of gear anyway.

7. Abcmsaj macrumors member

Abcmsaj

I do indeed - I'll be first in line next Friday morning...

Although the O2 Twitter said that Unlimited Data would be unavailable with Simplicity (on the new iPhone) - But I reckon that was a ploy to make me go on a contract. Don't be silly :p

8. wazza12345 thread starter macrumors regular

sneaky b@stards! wouldn't put it past them. cant see how they could implement it though..

9. wazza12345 thread starter macrumors regular

so just visual voicemail it appears? no one knows of anything else we'd lose?

10. tejaykay macrumors 6502

tejaykay

From O2:

"Don't forget, if you're on Pay & Go, you won't be able to get Visual Voicemail, call merging or Internet tethering. And you'll need to change your data (APN) settings to use services like mobile internet."

Has anyone else got the current 3G on simplicity? Everything work OK?

11. Abcmsaj macrumors member

Abcmsaj

I'm going into an O2 store today to talk about it. Should I post findings here?

12. BNZ1 macrumors regular

Yeah no issues. I have tethering etc also.

If you dont need the phone day 1 and you have any friends/family in NZ/travelling to/from NZ then I would look at buying the phone outright from Vodafone NZ as they do not facory lock their phones :D

13. surfingmonk macrumors newbie

Wouldnt you get unlimited WiFi and Web if you buy PAYG, even if you get a Simplicity contract??

So in theory buying a PAYG, and then getting the cheapest Simplicity contract (the £10 one), you should get unlimited Wi-Fi (Cloud) and web for 12 months plus 150min, 300 text per month...

14. Renderz macrumors 6502

Can someone tell me if the "WEB BOLT-ON" includes data of all kind or does it litterally mean Web Browsing? I will be using the 3GS for emails, apps etc and I'm concerned that isn't covered as part of the bolt on package.