3gs unlock and jb on 4.2.1

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by wolfgang666, Dec 5, 2010.

1. wolfgang666 macrumors regular

hi
    could anyone tell me if there is any other way to jb and unlock a 3gs on 4.2.1
    i am presently on 4.1
    i used pwnage tool to upgrade since i dint wanna update the baseband. its still on 5.13.04..
    i knw that we can update to 4.2.1 using the ipad firmware but the baseband gets updated to 6.15 which i dont wanna do.
    so is there any other way??

2. JennyFost89 macrumors newbie

JennyFost89

Interested as well.

Can't find anything so far.

3. PinoySaMI macrumors member

PinoySaMI

4.1 OS with BB 05.13.04 is compatible with the pwnage OS 4.2.1. The BB will not upgrade to Ipad BB unless you select that option.

You need to use the pwnage 4.2.1 and not the Iphone 4.2 OS. if you use the Iphone 4.2 OS first then use BB will be updated to 05.14.04 which is not compatible to ultrasnow ergo your iphone cannot be unlock for the time being.

4. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

If you have an old-bootrom 3GS then you can use PwnageTool v4.1.3 to upgrade to 4.2.1

The jailbreak will then be untethered. All you have to is install, if your iPhone 3GS is on the old-bootrom, the 3GS bundles the Dev-Team have on their blog.

5. Carlanga, Dec 6, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2010

Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

if you have the old bootrom like me, these would be the steps: (I did it the day the unofficial 3GS bundle was out - musclenerd one)
    1) Create a custom FW of 4.2.1 on Custom PT (meaning you have to drop the unofficial 3GS bundle inside the contents of PT on the firmware folder before using it)
    2) Create the custom FW, I had to use the easy instead of the expert mode because Cydia wouldn't open with the expert mode custom FW for me after installing and of course NOT hacktivated...
    3) The custom FW has no jb just keeps the BB down and installs 4.2.1. (install w/ option +restore on iTunes)
    4) Need to use Redsn0w to actually jb it and install Cydia (I used the PC version because in the Mac version it was getting stuck on Booting on the redsn0w screen and not installing the jb on the phone and in the PC version of redsn0w it went through the first time- I used Win 7 in Bootcamp)
    5) Enjoy untethered 4.2.1 w/ old BB that is unlocked w/ ultrasn0w :cool:

6. OhioLefty macrumors regular

Could you possibly link to the "bundle" needed to do this. I have a 3GS on iOS 3.1.2 and base band 5.11.07. JB with blackra1n and unlocked with blacksn0w.

Thanks...

7. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/
    Update #3

8. wolfgang666 thread starter macrumors regular

well all this has been very helpful.. but m on d new bootroom..
    so doesnt seem like i have a way out for sometime now..

9. OhioLefty, Dec 7, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2010

OhioLefty macrumors regular

Thanks Carlanga for the link. If I'm ready it correctly, the Dev Team is telling me to wait because I have the old BootROM 3GS on iOS 3.1.2 and the 5.11.07 base band. Am I on the right track here? Or can I go ahead and JB? I'm using Windows XP btw and don't access to a Mac.

One other question, what is meant by "dropping the IPSW into Pwnage"? Is that the same thing as starting Redsn0w and browsing for and selecting the IPSW I downloaded to my Desktop or Pwnage folder?

Thanks again for the help and I welcome any advise.

From the Dev Team Blog link...
    SIMPLIFIED ROUTE #1 (redsn0w for OSX + Windows):

1.Read and fully understand the warning below.
    2.If you have an old-bootrom 3GS and are already unlockable but want to get to 4.2.1, please wait til we release an “unofficial” bundle for you. Read no further.
    3.Use redsn0w (see update #2) for OSX or Windows. Enable the “Install iPad baseband” option and accept the warning.
    4.When the redsn0w ramdisk is finished, install ultrasn0w via Cydia.
    5.Enjoy!

10. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

What ever you do don't update your iPhone 3GS to 4.2.1 without using PwnageTool or a custom ipsw.

"Dropping the firmware" just means find it on your computer and loading it into pwnage.

The bundles for pwnagetool only. You have to drop them into the contents of pwnagetool.

11. OhioLefty macrumors regular

Is there a PwnageTool for Windows users or a place to download a "Custom" IPSW?

Thanks...