Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ju08

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2012
Hi,

I have been using my iPhone 3GS for about 3 years, sucessfully jailbreaking it upto 4.2.1.

After recently trying to get some app's, and seeing many were iOS 5 only, I decided to move up to 5.1.1.

However, things went wrong, and I have ended up with 4.3.5 (Baseband 05.16.02-6.4_M3S2). It is impossible to update it to 5.1.1 (itunes errors 3164, 1600 etc) and worst of all I cannot even activate it on 4.3.5 (I do not have the AT&T simcard required).

I have given up on 5.1.1, and I will just be happy to get it back and working again!

I have tried the restore, and I can get 4.3.5 onto it, but I cannot activate (due to simcard) and down grading gives me errors (1600, 3164 etc). I have modified the host files, and used tiny umbrella. Still no luck.

Please help me out! Finding the simcard is not an option

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Yea, you need to install the iPad baseband, then downgrade it to 5.13.xx as shown here.

Then make a No_BB IPSW for 5.1.1, put the phone in pwnedDFU mode and use iTunes to navigate to your IPSW

All the errors you mention are operator mistakes.

Your host file must be pointed at Apple for final upgrade to 5.1.1, not pointed at Cydia.
Make sure your phone is older than the 28th week of 2011 (per first five characters of serial number xx128)

Use iClarified.com for a tutorial

ju08

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2012
You would have to upgraded to the iPad baseband using the newest version of redsn0w, then downgrade the baseband to 5.13.xx to unlock

You can read more on this @ http://www.blog.iphone-dev.org

Okay cool I'll check that out now. So it was the baseband upgrade that caused all this drama? Should I stop trying other things because the baseband is clearly the culprit?

ju08

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2012
The first 5 digits of my 3GS serial are "87930"

Does mean I'm okay? I;ve read the warning, but I just want to double double check :)

ju08

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2012
Okay some I'm a 2009 model, week 30 (first 5 digits 87930).

I'm clear then!

I'm a little confused- do I do the jailbreak with 5.1.1, check install iPad baseband, then re-do it, and select downgrade from iPad baseband? I've read the site and i got confused...

ju08

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2012
So in installed the new baseband and it is still on 05.16.02. However, it is activated (haven't tried my simcard though- I figure as I will upgrade to 5.1.1 I won't need to?)

Do I need to re-do the process with redsnow and select "Downgrad ipad baseband" again? I have done it twice now and the baseband doesnt change... Step 14 (here) doesn't actually happen... why?

Last edited:

ju08

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2012
Will using an iPad baseband remove the use of my GPS? I still can't downgrade from 05.15.02 BB

ju08

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2012
Once you upgrade to the iPad baseband, you then downgrade to 5.13

And once downgraded, the GPS will work again?

Redsnow still isn't installing the BB. I have tried several times and it still remains at 05.16.02 !

ju08

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2012
Yes. Which version of redsn0w are you using?

Latest version- redsn0w_win_0.9.14b2

For some reason I think it is about to work- I finally see the "Flashing baseband" screen. So once I have installed, I go back to redsn0w and downgrade the ipad baseband?

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
Latest version- redsn0w_win_0.9.14b2

For some reason I think it is about to work- I finally see the "Flashing baseband" screen. So once I have installed, I go back to redsn0w and downgrade the ipad baseband?

Ok, sounds good. There should be an option in "extras"

ju08

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2012
Ok, sounds good. There should be an option in "extras"

Sucess- I am now on 05.13.04 (downgraded from iPad firmware after clicking 'jailbreak' option).

Now I want to upgrade to 5.1.1- but if I do this, will I be able to unlock the iphone with out the original simcard??

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
Sucess- I am now on 05.13.04 (downgraded from iPad firmware after clicking 'jailbreak' option).

Now I want to upgrade to 5.1.1- but if I do this, will I be able to unlock the iphone with out the original simcard??

Of course. Now create a no_bb custom firmware using redsn0w then jailbreak. Redsn0w will hacktivate your iPhone. Then install ultrasn0w to unlock.

ju08

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2012
Of course. Now create a no_bb custom firmware using redsn0w then jailbreak. Redsn0w will hacktivate your iPhone. Then install ultrasn0w to unlock.

Created the NO_BB firmware, and then I assume that I need to install it via iTunes? Or do I select the custom IPSW with redsnow to install it?

ju08

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2012
Yea, you need to install the iPad baseband, then downgrade it to 5.13.xx as shown here.

Then make a No_BB IPSW for 5.1.1, put the phone in pwnedDFU mode and use iTunes to navigate to your IPSW

All the errors you mention are operator mistakes.

Your host file must be pointed at Apple for final upgrade to 5.1.1, not pointed at Cydia.

I'm finally at this step- downgrade sucessful. I have created the custom IPSW with BB (05.13.04) and used redsn0w to launch pwnedDFU mode.

I checked the host file and it seems to be directed at apple (gs.apple)

But it is still not working- itunes says "iPhone could not be restarted. An unknown error occured (10)"

What's wrong?

ju08

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2012
Still not working-

PwnedDFU gives me "iPhone could not be restarted. Unknown error 10"

And normal DFU gives me an "Error 1600"

ju08

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2012
I'm almost out of ideas. I don't think I can use absinth, as I need to put the original 5.1.1 on my 3gs first.

Anyone have a clue what's happening with my iPhone?

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
The iPhone need to be in "pwned dfu mode" That can be done thru redsn0w. Sorry, didn't mention that before. All make sure you have the latest version of iTunes installed.

ju08

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2012
The iPhone need to be in "pwned dfu mode" That can be done thru redsn0w. Sorry, didn't mention that before. All make sure you have the latest version of iTunes installed.

Yeah cheers but I already did that too- and the PwnedDFU mode gives me "iPhone could not be restarted. Unknown error 10"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.