3GS Unlocked iOS5 Help!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by UrBoyTim, Dec 16, 2011.

1. UrBoyTim macrumors member

Hey guys, so I have my 3gs unlocked on ios5, working great on T-Mobile, and lately its been doing this thing where it restarts on its own like every 5-20 minutes and I'm not sure exactly what to do. I tried to reinstall my Sn0wbreeze ipsw with a shift+restore when its in pwned DFU mode and iTunes gives me an error, which doesn't make sense to me.
    But there it is. If anyone has a solution for the restarting or restoring with the ipsw, that'd be great! Any help at all would be appreciated. Thanks a lot!

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It sounds like hardware damage.
    Did you drop it or get it wet?

3. APtalent macrumors regular

Trying creating a new custom IPSW and restore using a different USB port.

4. UrBoyTim thread starter macrumors member

Well, I bought the phone from craigslist, but I've had for almost 2 months now and it just started doing it; and it hasn't gotten wet since I've had it. However I hadn't thought of it being the hardware. I could've dropped or something causing it to do this; that'd suck lol.
    But I'll try making a new ipsw and post back results.
    Thanks!

5. mag11581 macrumors newbie

UrBoyTim,
    what baseband is on your phone and how did you upgrade and unlock to ios5?
    currently my 3gs is unlocked and jailbroken with ver 3.1.2 , 05.11.07 baseband
    with blackrain. it's a tethered jailbreak.
    i want to upgrade to ios5 ( or as high as i can) without losing my tmobile unlock. i'm afraid i gonna brick it if i do it wrong.

thanks for any help.

6. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

If you are on 3.1.2 and jailbreak it with blackra1n, it should be untethered jailbreak.

run your phone through tiny umbrella and see what shsh blobs your phone has it there. if your phone has blobs save, then you can go to one of those firmware. However, you will have to cook a custom firmware so you can keep its baseband in order to unlock with Ultrasn0w.

If you don't have any blobs save, then you can either go to 4.1 or 5.0.1. Again, with customs firmware while preserving its baseband.

7. max pl macrumors regular

ive got a question relating to this topic as well.

i have an att 3GS that i want to unlock. the question is whether an unlock is permanent. meaning once i jailbreak and unlock, can i get rid of the jailbreak and the device remains unlocked to use on tmobile/att, or is the unlock tied to the software and thus it must remain?

8. labman macrumors 604

labman

no it's not start reading the stickies top of this section that will answer most of your questions.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Only an official unlock is permanent. Any hack you install is not forever and if you mess up your unlock is gone.

10. mag11581 macrumors newbie

blobs are saved on cydia and in tinyumbrella.
    but jailbreak is still tethered.
    i used blackrain rc3 to initially jb and unlock to tmobile.
    i've tride jailbreakme.com and a bunch of other jb proggies, but i still have to use blackrain to boot and it's always tethered.

it's beginning to be a pain in the ass! i have blackrain installed on every computer i have access to, but it dont help me if i out on the road. i had read an article once about installing blackrain onto a flashdrive , but it doesnt work.

11. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

use sn0wbreeze or redsn0w to create customs 5.0.1 firmware while preserve your baseband and then restore your phone to it.