3GS updated to iOS4 lost my music

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Tex-Twil, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Hi,
    I updated from 3.1.2 to iOS4 then restored a backup that I made just before but my iTunes library (on the iPhone) is empty. Also non of my apps were restored. :confused:

Ideas ?

Thanks,
    tex

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Thats what always happens.
    You have to sync that stuff back thru itunes.

3. Tex-Twil thread starter macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

ok I didnt know.

Thanks

4. RandomIan macrumors newbie

I have the same issue, but when I plug the iPhone back into the computer, it shows that it is full of music (over 20GB) and everything is greyed out and I cannot access it, or even really load anything else in to it. When I hit the iPod button on the phone is says I have no music.

Any ideas?

5. soundsgoodtome macrumors regular

soundsgoodtome

assuming all of your music is in your itunes library already (as it should be), just plug in your iphone and deselect all of your music for syncing (so it's removed from your phone). sync, so it's removed from your phone, then reselect the music you want to be synced, and resync.

something went screwy somewhere, but instead of trying to figure out why, removing and replacing your music should fix it.

6. RandomIan macrumors newbie

That's the problem, I can't remove the music from the iPhone, it's greyed out and won't let me select it.

There is a side issue as well. I would like to keep the music as I had to replace my time capsule (18month power supply dissolve, under warranty) and all my music was stored on the TC. So I don't have e music on another source. If I have to I will do away with it all, but I would rather not. BLAH

7. soundsgoodtome macrumors regular

soundsgoodtome

it's grayed out where? and what won't let you select it. be more specific.

http://www.fadingred.com/senuti/

8. RandomIan macrumors newbie

Sorry about that, the music is greyed out when I'm in iTunes and I click on the music tab under the iPhone. ITunes will not allow me to select the music to remove it from my iPhone.

9. soundsgoodtome macrumors regular

soundsgoodtome

you don't have to "select" any music to remove it from an iphone. i'm not sure why it's grayed out, but can't you UNcheck "sync music" at the top of the music page? i'm thinking that may initiate removal of the music.

(of course, i realize you'll first want to use senuti or ipodrip to retrieve the music off of your iphone before trying this.)

if unchecking "sync music" doesn't give you a warning that the music will be erased (which is what you want -- after you've backed it up with senuti or ipod), try changing the selected playlists -- or otherwise making any kind of change, to see if that will work. the point is to get itunes to erase the ipod (within the iphone), again after you've backed up your music, since you lost it with your TC.

if those suggestions don't work, i'm not sure what else to suggest. :)

10. scrapple macrumors regular

scrapple

11. smounger26 macrumors newbie

OS4 Upgrade, lost my music

I just upgraded to the newest update.. After waiting for the download, syncing and backing up to complete.. I looked around to make sure everything that was on there previously was still available.. Everything was fine except for my music and videos.. They are gone.. So before panicing, I hooked my phone back up to itunes to redownload all my music. There is NOTHING. Not even in iTunes.. All the music and videos I purchased are gone. Not a trace of them anywhere. Could someone please help me with this? Thats too much money to throw away.. And to not understand what happened and why all the music is gone, is very frustrating. Please help!!:mad: