Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jamesesesesess

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 26, 2011
Hey guys. My sister gave me her old iPhone 3GS a while ago when she got a 4S. I've had it laying around since them so I figured I could sell it by now.

It's currently on iOS 3.1.3. I want to update it to 5.x.x and jailbreak it so it's more up to date, but not anything 6 or above because I read it's very slow on a 3GS. Also, the phone still has all of her pictures, contacts, emails, etc. on it and she can't remember her password.

Is this possible? I know that now we have to worry about SHSH blobs and all of that, but I read that the 3GS tends to be more pliable with upgrading and downgrading? On my MacBook I have iTunes 11 but the family Windows laptop has 10.5.3 (no one actually uses iTunes).

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Hey guys. My sister gave me her old iPhone 3GS a while ago when she got a 4S. I've had it laying around since them so I figured I could sell it by now.

It's currently on iOS 3.1.3. I want to update it to 5.x.x and jailbreak it so it's more up to date, but not anything 6 or above because I read it's very slow on a 3GS. Also, the phone still has all of her pictures, contacts, emails, etc. on it and she can't remember her password.

Is this possible? I know that now we have to worry about SHSH blobs and all of that, but I read that the 3GS tends to be more pliable with upgrading and downgrading? On my MacBook I have iTunes 11 but the family Windows laptop has 10.5.3 (no one actually uses iTunes).

Is the 3GS jailbroken? If it is, open cydia and click TSS Center. What iOS version SHSH does it say it has at the top?

You can use iFaith and dump iOS 3.1.3 blobs (useful say you want to just use it for music [when you upgrade to a newer/better phone] but have it run as fast as possible and you can downgrade it)

Jamesesesesess

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 26, 2011
Is the 3GS jailbroken? If it is, open cydia and click TSS Center. What iOS version SHSH does it say it has at the top?

You can use iFaith and dump iOS 3.1.3 blobs (useful say you want to just use it for music [when you upgrade to a newer/better phone] but have it run as fast as possible and you can downgrade it)

No, it's just stock 3.1.3. I probably should've made it more clear in the OP that I also don't know her password, and neither does she, so I can't access anything without restoring :(

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
No, it's just stock 3.1.3. I probably should've made it more clear in the OP that I also don't know her password, and neither does she, so I can't access anything without restoring :(

Download iFaith and dump the SHSH blobs for your device on 3.1.3 and also use it to save iOS 4.1 blobs as that firmware version is still being signed

As the device is stock, your only options is to update to either iOS 4.1 or 6.1.3. The reason I told you to dump blobs for 3.1.3 is because if you find iOS 6.1.3 or iOS 4.1 slow, you can always downgrade and revert back to iOS 3.1.3

iOS 6.1.3 is only tethered jailbrrak while iOS 4.1 is untethered jailbreak

You can use redsn0w to query cydia's server to see if there is any SHSH blobs for you (won't have any if the device was never jailbroken before and never opened cydia before)

Jamesesesesess

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 26, 2011
Download iFaith and dump the SHSH blobs for your device on 3.1.3 and also use it to save iOS 4.1 blobs as that firmware version is still being signed

As the device is stock, your only options is to update to either iOS 4.1 or 6.1.3. The reason I told you to dump blobs for 3.1.3 is because if you find iOS 6.1.3 or iOS 4.1 slow, you can always downgrade and revert back to iOS 3.1.3

iOS 6.1.3 is only tethered jailbrrak while iOS 4.1 is untethered jailbreak

You can use redsn0w to query cydia's server to see if there is any SHSH blobs for you (won't have any if the device was never jailbroken before and never opened cydia before)

I've already tried iFaith twice and I get an error message saying "An invalid response was received from the device". I've tried restoring to basically every desirable firmware in iTunes (6.1.2, 6.0, 5.1.1, 5.1, 5.0, 4.3.5, and 4.1, to be exact) and I always get either a 3194 or a 2005 error.

At this point, I don't even care what firmware it's on, I just want to wipe the data before selling it, but that appears to be impossible without restoring it to 6.1.4. I would like to get the 3.1.3 blobs so that at least the buyer could downgrade if they wanted, but it isn't working. Redsn0w can't fetch the blobs either.

the search button is your friend.

Thankyou. I didn't spend all day yesterday trying to figure this out on my own accord :rolleyes:

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
You can certainly get to 4.1 firmware assuming no hardware failure and that your host file points to Apple, not Cydia.

Other than 3.x.x or 4.1, saved SHSH are required to restore.

Does this 3GS have the iPad baseband ?

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
I've already tried iFaith twice and I get an error message saying "An invalid response was received from the device". I've tried restoring to basically every desirable firmware in iTunes (6.1.2, 6.0, 5.1.1, 5.1, 5.0, 4.3.5, and 4.1, to be exact) and I always get either a 3194 or a 2005 error.

At this point, I don't even care what firmware it's on, I just want to wipe the data before selling it, but that appears to be impossible without restoring it to 6.1.4. I would like to get the 3.1.3 blobs so that at least the buyer could downgrade if they wanted, but it isn't working. Redsn0w can't fetch the blobs either.

Thankyou. I didn't spend all day yesterday trying to figure this out on my own accord :rolleyes:

You should be able to dump blobs regardless of knowing the password. Are you sure you are putting the device properly into DFU mode?

Error 3194 usually indicates that your hosts file is pointed towards cydia's server instead of apple's server. That or you're trying to install an unsigned firmware

Your only options to restore to should only be 4.1 and 6.1.3

As dhlizard said, make sure your hosts file is pointing to apple

Jamesesesesess

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 26, 2011
You can certainly get to 4.1 firmware assuming no hardware failure and that your host file points to Apple, not Cydia.

Other than 3.x.x or 4.1, saved SHSH are required to restore.

Does this 3GS have the iPad baseband ?

How do I know if the hosts file points to Apple? There's nothing extra in the hosts file on my MacBook and I would imagine there's nothing else in the hosts file on the family laptop. I've tried upgrading to 4.1 on both laptops and neither work.

And I don't know which baseband it has.

You should be able to dump blobs regardless of knowing the password. Are you sure you are putting the device properly into DFU mode?

Error 3194 usually indicates that your hosts file is pointed towards cydia's server instead of apple's server. That or you're trying to install an unsigned firmware

Your only options to restore to should only be 4.1 and 6.1.3

As dhlizard said, make sure your hosts file is pointing to apple

Yes, iTunes recognizes it as an iPhone in recovery mode.

When I try updating to the 4.1 or 6.1.3 IPSW's, it gives me this error message:

The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. This device isn't eligible for the requested build.

However, when I simply push Restore iPhone, it goes to 6.1.3 and looks like it would work fine. I'm getting my IPSW's from websites that post them after release, and they're certainly for the 3GS, so I can't understand why it won't work.

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
How do I know if the hosts file points to Apple? There's nothing extra in the hosts file on my MacBook and I would imagine there's nothing else in the hosts file on the family laptop. I've tried upgrading to 4.1 on both laptops and neither work.

And I don't know which baseband it has.

Yes, iTunes recognizes it as an iPhone in recovery mode.

When I try updating to the 4.1 or 6.1.3 IPSW's, it gives me this error message:

The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. This device isn't eligible for the requested build.

However, when I simply push Restore iPhone, it goes to 6.1.3 and looks like it would work fine. I'm getting my IPSW's from websites that post them after release, and they're certainly for the 3GS, so I can't understand why it won't work.

in the address bar of your internet browser, type http://gs.apple.com/. where does it lead you to?

you should be able to use redsn0w to check what the baseband of the device is

are you downloading the ipsw straight from apple's server?

iOS 4.1: http://appldnld.apple.com/iPhone4/061-7938.20100908.F3rCk/iPhone2,1_4.1_8B117_Restore.ipsw

iOS 6.1.3: http://appldnld.apple.com/iOS6.1/091-2371.20130319.715gt/iPhone2,1_6.1.3_10B329_Restore.ipsw

Jamesesesesess

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 26, 2011
in the address bar of your internet browser, type http://gs.apple.com/. where does it lead you to?

you should be able to use redsn0w to check what the baseband of the device is

are you downloading the ipsw straight from apple's server?

iOS 4.1: http://appldnld.apple.com/iPhone4/061-7938.20100908.F3rCk/iPhone2,1_4.1_8B117_Restore.ipsw

iOS 6.1.3: http://appldnld.apple.com/iOS6.1/091-2371.20130319.715gt/iPhone2,1_6.1.3_10B329_Restore.ipsw

Hmm, looks like it leads to Cydia.

Omg, okay, odd. I ran Gas Mask yesterday to edit my hosts file and nothing abnormal came up, but now I'm running it through terminal and it looks like I do have that gs.apple.com thing in there. I added a hashtag in front of it.

Now I'm able to start the 4.1 update... and get a new error message:

"The iPhone could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (29)."

I've done a little researching and it's talking about getting that message if you've replaced the battery. The battery in this was never replaced. It was bought brand new.

:confused:

Edit: Nevermind, it appears that I got it able to update to 4.1. I am now able to fetch the blobs for some reason.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Hmm, looks like it leads to Cydia.

Omg, okay, odd. I ran Gas Mask yesterday to edit my hosts file and nothing abnormal came up, but now I'm running it through terminal and it looks like I do have that gs.apple.com thing in there. I added a hashtag in front of it.

Now I'm able to start the 4.1 update... and get a new error message:

"The iPhone could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (29)."

I've done a little researching and it's talking about getting that message if you've replaced the battery. The battery in this was never replaced. It was bought brand new.

:confused:

Edit: Nevermind, it appears that I got it able to update to 4.1. I am now able to fetch the blobs for some reason.

Thanks for your help!

Apple has always signed the 4.1 firmware for 3GS (for whatever reason)

Your only issue is you failed to set the hosts file correctly.
Glad you got it done.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.