3GS upgraded to 4.0.......Battery update (Fix)

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by firedogut, Jun 26, 2010.

1. firedogut macrumors regular

Been reading a lot about battery issues on the 3GS after you upgrade to 4.0. People seem to think the multitasking is causing the drain, or the wifi, or _____.

I had lower then expected battery life when i did the upgrade. I decided to back up my data (pics, bookmarks, notes...etc) and restore the phone as "New". I DID NOT use a backup to restore the phone. Once the phone was setup as new I installed all my apps, and put my data back on it. I had to setup all my apps again, my e-mail, and everything else i had customized. this was a pain in the ass and took a lot of time however i have gained over 2 hours of battery life.

Maybe when you just upgrade 3.x to 4.0 you can get a glitch. Like trying to upgrade windows.....its always better to do a clean install over a upgrade.

I have every feature turned on....(push, wifi, location service...etc)

So with 2% of my battery left i have:
    Usage: 5 hours 15 minutes
    Standby 1 Day 1 Hour.

So if you are having battery issues try to set your phone up as "New". Do not restore from a backup. hopefully this will help some people.

Attached Files:

2. longat macrumors newbie

3GS with battery problems

I just upgraded phone to 4.0, and ran into serious problems.

I restored "as new" and then reconfigured
    Turned off push, which is its own pain
    Turned off location services (which by the way stinks that a function I used with 3.0 and worked fine, is something that I now am not supposed to use)
    WiFi was never on

Day prior to upgrading the system was fine (not great battery life but pretty typical), and now "shot to hell"

I called and talked with their Apple Support and the reply was "you can bring it in, and we can see if the battery is performing under spec and if it is ..."

I will try this again, but my recommendation (considering the number of threads I have seen in different groups about the problems people are having) give it a few weeks.

That or I am sure Jobs will tell us to "keep your phone plugged in". I have to say right now, I am wanting a droid.

3. Trash Can macrumors member

Just an FYI... I've been looking into them and the biggest complaint seems to be battery life.