3Gs users, why are you upgrading?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mjmar, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Mjmar macrumors 65816

After the iPhone 4 launched I'll admit that the hype got to me, so I decided to reserve one at my local Apple store for launch day. But now that the iOS4 update is out and running great on my 3Gs I'm starting to doubt my decision to reserve an iPhone 4. Do any of you 3Gs users feel the same way? If you don't, then what feature of the iPhone 4 is pushing you to upgrade? Maybe after I see it in the store my thoughts will change.

2. brvheart macrumors 6502

3. fastblack macrumors regular

you can easily sell your 3gs for 300, and get a new iphone for with a renewed contract for 300. You're going to have your att service anyway, why wouldnt u upgrade?

4. Chief Oddball macrumors regular

This is what did it for me. When AT&T pulled-ahead my upgrade eligibility from November to now, and given that I would be replacing my 3GS and could thus sell it, it seemed like a no-brainer. Before this happened, I was going to wait for next June's model.

Although, like the OP, I am greatly enjoying the iOS 4 update.

5. XJ13sd macrumors member

I'm not updating on my 3GS so that I feel like the iPhone 4 is a whole new device not just hardware. Plus the iPhone 4 looks better than the 3GS IMO and I like that it sits flush on a table and won't rock back and forth.

6. xtend macrumors regular

because i have to wait for my iPhone 4 even longer... the white one :D

oops wrong thread.. sorry..

7. PLamarine macrumors 6502

PLamarine

720p HD video, that's why. Oh, and the 5mp camera and LED flash/video light.

8. Macjames macrumors 6502a

^ This :D

9. realjd macrumors newbie

I'm upgrading because my 3GS had an unfortunate encounter with my swimming pool last night...

10. BacklitFirefly macrumors 6502

If you take advantage of that early upgrade pricing, you do realize you are instantly upgrading how much you'll have to pay in Early Termination Fees, too, right?

....which makes me wonder if another carrier will soon get the iPhone, and maybe AT&T is trying to snag as many people into that new, higher early termination fee bracket as possible before that happens.

Just a thought.

11. JonboyDC macrumors regular

For me, it's about the increased screen resolution, the improved camera, and the additional RAM. I would have been upgrade eligible in July even before AT&T moved up eligibility for some people, so I don't have any financial reason to wait. Plus, I really like the look of the white phone.

12. PCsAreRubbish macrumors member

Yes I decided the same once you have iOS 4 what extras does iPhone 4 really give me? Video Calling (dont need it) Hi Res Screen ( nothing wrong with 3GS screen) and a slightly new look and thats about it if you think about it im going to wait for iPhone 5 as it will be a bigger step forward. plus just spent £429 on an iPad which i love so cant afford iPhone 4 at £499....

13. Petey-ed macrumors 6502

Retina, Better Cameras, WAY faster, new body style.....

Shall I continue?

14. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I'm upgrading just because I want the latest and greatest. I have been running iOS4 on my 3GS for a week now and it hasn't changed my mind on upgrading. I'll just keep using the 3GS on one of my other two lines.

15. rittchard macrumors 6502

I thought so too, but as I mentioned in another thread, for some reason I'm not being allowed to get the "early upgrade" pricing (I bought my 3GS last June at release). If I do upgrade, it will have to be at "no commitment" -which will allow me to leave AT&T next year with no ETF.

16. crash0480 macrumors newbie

This is why I'm upgrading as well. I made a quick $100 on the deal by selling my 3GS and now I get the latest and greatest phone as well!

I'm looking forward to the high res screen as far as features go.

17. RyanTheGeneral macrumors regular

What he said.

18. matt550 macrumors 6502

Im upgrading because I sold my 3GS for the price of the iPhone 4. No brainer to me.

19. nparmelee macrumors 6502

Because we upgrade every year and sell the old phones on eBay for the same or more than the news ones cost us so its a no-brainer. This year the flash is a nice addition and the video upgrade, also hoping the battery life is improved again.

20. ipoddin macrumors 6502a

ipoddin

Same here. Photography is a big part of my use of the iPhone so this is important to me.

21. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

22. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

1) I prefer the new design.
    The flat sides & back will provide better ergonomics. Less slippery when using it without a skin or case. I only use a case to carry it.

2) Hi-Res Display

3) Seperate volume buttons

4) Folders

5) Larger Battery

6) Noise Cancellation

23. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I'm upgrading because where i'm from the only thing worse than not having an iPhone is not having the latest iPhone. Jk

Actually i'm upgrading because it's only 199 and if I play my cards right I can sell my 3G 32Gb to cover the cost of it + Apple care + a case, in which i'll see you guys in 2012 for the iPhone 6 HD 4D VR

24. ducktales macrumors regular