3GS Vibrator Not Working After Rear Panel (Housing) Replacement?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by orvn, Dec 30, 2011.

1. orvn macrumors 6502

So I replaced the back panel of an iPhone 3GS. Followed directions on ifixit.com. I was very careful, using plastic prying devices, guitar picks and suction cups. I tried to avoid metal contact where I could.

Everything works/looks good other than the vibrator. It just doesn't respond.
    I'm wondering if anyone knows what could have gone wrong.

This part of the instructions was a little tricky because I have a different vibrator part than what was in the tutorials.

While my vibrator piece has round "coil" connectors (like on the negative side of an alkaline battery), everywhere else on the internet the 3GS vibrator pieces have regular bent connectors (like on the positive side of an alkaline battery).

I don't think there's any way of verifying whether or not the coil connectors are actually touching their counterparts on the board, but I'd imagine they are..

Ideas?

Here are some photos. The former shows my vibrator part, the latter being the one I see everywhere else (including ifixit)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

The one with coils I think is original equipment, the bent tabs is what you typically see as a replacement part.

Make sure it is matching up with the contact patches on the main board? Otherwise I would say replace it.

3. orvn thread starter macrumors 6502

I think it's matching up. But I can't really tell because it's not facing me..

The new housing might be displacing the whole thing a little because there are slight structural differences with my old housing (particularly the volume buttons, those were a bitch to fit right because they're less deep on the new housing)

4. orvn thread starter macrumors 6502

Perhaps tugging on the coils with tweezers (increasing their range of motion) will work?