Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Elzlaik

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2008
This is minor, I suppose, but it bothers me a little. My 3GS vibrates on the first ring and it distorts the ring tone, as if the vibration mechanism was placed too close to the speaker. It also does this when it vibrates during the charging chirp. I just want to know if this is all the 3GSes or just mine. My 3G didn't have this issue.

Other noted problems: had one phone call where I couldn't slide to unlock, and had entire phone lock up once as if dead, would not wake, not even when plugged in to computer, and (of course) the screen is pale as a corpse even with brightness turned down.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
This is minor, I suppose, but it bothers me a little. My 3GS vibrates on the first ring and it distorts the ring tone, as if the vibration mechanism was placed too close to the speaker. It also does this when it vibrates during the charging chirp. I just want to know if this is all the 3GSes or just mine. My 3G didn't have this issue.

Other noted problems: had one phone call where I couldn't slide to unlock, and had entire phone lock up once as if dead, would not wake, not even when plugged in to computer, and (of course) the screen is pale as a corpse even with brightness turned down.

Both my 3GSs do the distortion, too. Just add it to the growing list of bugs with the 3GS.

DCDJ

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
Same with me; my 3GS and my friends both have the distortion in the speakers even with the standard text message sound as well.

Cancelled
Feb 18, 2009
Possibly this is a software glitch and not the hardware? I've noticed all sorts of sound glitches w/ 3.0 that 2.2.1 did not have. Like sounds that don't play completely, don't play at all (when they should be playing), or play 1.5 times!

lilmitchmitch

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2008
Orlando
This has to be a software problem similar to the high pitch ring that some people get while video recording or after sending a text. If you go into settings and play the ringtone it sounds just fine and it only seems to make the distorted sound if your phone has been asleep for a while. If I receive a text, then 30 seconds or so later receive another, it sounds just fine.

I just hope it can be fixed, I don't really want to drive 2 hours to the nearest Apple store to get it replaced. Although I do have a loose silent switch and the GPS antenna around the camera isn't flush with my case. :(

mike41423

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2008
was thinking about exchanging my 3gs until i realized that everyone i know who has one, hears the exact same issue....not just me. My officemate even had his speaker die completely after getting his 3gs on launch day.

my 3gs vibration sounds like theres loose gravel inside. I'm definitely going to be exchanging mine. but the distorted sound might be a software issue. perhaps over driving the speaker?

xxshawnxx

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2008
San Diego, California
was thinking about exchanging my 3gs until i realized that everyone i know who has one, hears the exact same issue....not just me. My officemate even had his speaker die completely after getting his 3gs on launch day.

my 3gs vibration sounds like theres loose gravel inside. I'm definitely going to be exchanging mine. but the distorted sound might be a software issue. perhaps over driving the speaker?

^same here. Sounds like everybody is having this issue though. :(

chicken2341

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2009
Distorted on first ring

I have the same thing, I sent it in. I hope it gets fixed soon. really distorted.

iphone529

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2007

I had this problem once before, turns out the vibration mechanism was loose, went to apple and they replaced the phone, schedule a Genius bar appointment and they will take care of you.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I had this problem once before, turns out the vibration mechanism was loose, went to apple and they replaced the phone, schedule a Genius bar appointment and they will take care of you.

I don't believe this is a hardware problem, FYI. At least not in both my 3GSs cases..

smoothjazz

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2009
I remember this issue on the original and the 3G. They did fix the distortion with a software/firmware update. I'm a record producer and this sounds like they are overdriving the speaker inputs/amp. I noticed my ringtones from my previous 3G phone sound distorted too, in addition to the text alerts, etc.

My wife's 3GS does the exact same thing too.

I guess we wait for 3.0.1.

mplewis87

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama
Same here... I didn't realize everyone was having this issue, but I took mine into Genius Bar today, they replaced it, and the distortion persists. I thought it was hardware at first... guess not.

Very annoying though...

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Same here... I didn't realize everyone was having this issue, but I took mine into Genius Bar today, they replaced it, and the distortion persists. I thought it was hardware at first... guess not.

Very annoying though...

I cringe every time my 3GS rings...

notjustgc

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2009
I hate this. The three 3GS models in my household all do it. I'd venture to guess it's a signal processing issue, similar to the "whine" some are hearing after certain sounds are played. It all seems to be related to some sort of compression happening on the fly.

CheesePuff

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
Southwest Florida, USA
Ahhh thank goodness I thought I was the only one who heard this. Yea playing the ring tone in the Settings will sound normal but when it actually rings or a text message comes it its all distorted even at a lower volume.

mappyman

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2008
UK
It does it on mine. Rebooting the phone or playing with the ringtones fixes it, so its a software problem.

BaronvdB

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2007
that what it is!...thanks for pointing this out...when I first switched from my 2G to the 3Gs every time my phone would ring I was like "why does that sound so different from my 2G?"....I even took it to the apple store thinking the speaker was blown.

I think it still does it but I'm used to it now....uncool though.

pquada

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2009
Has anyone attempted to exchange it with a new one? I just got mine along with buying one for my girlfriend. Hers does not make those noises... Ut oh, is Mac starting to turn into PC! dun dun dun.... Microsoft 101, release a product to the public to make them happy, even though its not ready lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.