3GS Voice Control HUGE POTENTIAL

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JReynolds, Jun 16, 2009.

1. JReynolds macrumors 6502

My wife and I where talking about the 3GS' we ordered. She asked me a question that got my mind racing...

She asked if with the voice control you'd be able to hold down the button on the headphones and tell the iphone to open safari. From there I started thinking why stop with safari... I'd like to ask it to open mail or a specific app if the developer allowed or built it in. OS X on my iMac allows me to open safari, switch apps and even close them. Could Apple or someone else add that to the iphone?

Is it possible to do any of this on the iphone? If apple wanted to could they update it to open any of THEIR apps? Could they use voice control to control the search/spotlight?

If apple didn't want to do anything like this, would it be possible for a developer or someone to add it into cydia? ;)

Also, I'd like to see the spotlight/search on the iphone evolve into something more like QUICKSILVER. I want it to dig even deeper into the iphone. I'd like to be able to open a bookmark in safari and go directly to the page.

Is any of this possible or is it a pipeline dream? Would any of you like to see any these features or ones like them?

2. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

What's the benefit of opening Mail or Safari with your voice if you still have to do the input with your fingers once you open it?

3. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I think this is a very real possibility considering it's already been disclosed that the voice recognition is accurate enough to recognize artist information. If I can tell it to play songs by "Taking Back Sunday" why wouldn't it recognize "Open Mail"?

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I'm sure it's possible. I don't use my Nokia phones anymore, but on them, you could tell the phone to open and then read your texts, which was cool.

I'm not sure I see the point, though, of voice control for Safari, unless you're severely disabled, in which case it makes a lot more sense. Otherwise, if you have to look at the screen anyway, why not just touch it? :confused:

5. JReynolds thread starter macrumors 6502

haha good point! :D

I think it could tie into multitasking and future backgrounding apps. Using your fingers and your voice at the same time. Ultimate productivity... or ultimate mess! Who know!!!!

6. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

No, but it would be helpful for using MMS. If you could say "Read Text" when you get a new text, then it makes driving a little safer if the phone then reads the new text.

7. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

Be Nice to say "Open Safari" or something, as im pulling it out of my Pocket, then when its in my hand, Safari is open :p

8. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

But will it understand "I want out my contract early"?

9. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I wouldn't mind being able to say "Read New Emails" so that I could watch the road. Also, if you get a picture sent to you, you could say "Describe Picture" and it will tell you what's in the picture.

10. JReynolds thread starter macrumors 6502

Exactly both small but VERY useful ways to implement total voice control!

Great ideas!

11. actorkid macrumors 6502

maybe it wouldnt be useful for typing out messages and such, but i do think such a technology has potential

for instance, you could use voice commands to tell the iPhone to speak email messages to you so you dont have to look at the screen.

say you dont want to pay for the tom tom app...they could integrate voice control into maps

just say "next direction" or something, and it would speak you the next direction...not quite as good as a real gps, but still a decent implementation

12. JReynolds thread starter macrumors 6502

imagine then saying reply and SAYING what you want sent! :D

Super safe driving

13. trevreyno macrumors member

lets just hope we dont all have to speak in a north american acsent to get it to recognize anything we say...........:eek:

i just hope apple has got this one right-unlike google.

14. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

Well, if it's anything like the voice recognition on Windows, it may have a "training" mode so the program can "learn" your inflections. Thereby increasing accuracy.

15. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

As far as being possible...

You can do most of this stuff on WinMo phones already, including opening apps and reading texts.

For surfing handsfree (but not eyes free), they could add something similar to the way that voice control works on Internet Explorer on desktops:

You say "show links", and a little number badge appears next to each link. Then you say the number and off it goes.

You don't have to be handicapped all the time to appreciate voice input. Just having your hands full (as in say, cooking a meal or feeding a baby) counts too. :)

16. chriszzz macrumors 6502

I really hope thats a joke...