3GS volume button "mushy"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by xray scatter, Jun 20, 2009.

1. xray scatter macrumors newbie

The volume button on my new 3GS feels mushy. It controls the volume. However, it dose not click like the on/off button on top of the phone or the volume button on my 2G. Is this normal?? I made an appointment with an Apple genius for this Monday.

2. Brandon Heat macrumors regular

now by mushy do you mean like...... mashed potatos?????

3. charliecc macrumors regular

Mine's the same, more so on volume down than up. Please let me know what happens when you see the genius.

4. glassjaw420 macrumors newbie

You made an appointment with an apple genius because the button feels "mushy" yet still works? Good god...

5. alangrehan macrumors regular

My 3G felt like that when I got it first but the button I think was just stiff.

After a month it loosened up and started to click normally!

6. jsamuelson macrumors member

jsamuelson

I know exactly what you mean. My second replacement iPhone 3G had the mushy volume button. Basically, it means that it has not been glued on properly to the rocker which presses on the microswitches underneath.

It is extremely annoying, mainly because there is little tactile feedback (no click) and it wobbles. I had to check the screen always to see if I was actually changing volume.

I also found the volume changing all by itself when it was in a case.

So, to the person who said "good god" this is a real issue!

To the OP I say ask for a replacement, especially on a new device.

Premium price means premium quality and anything less is basically unacceptable, that's the bottom line.

7. xray scatter thread starter macrumors newbie

I brought my iPhone in today to have it checked. The apple genius said that it was a defect and he ordered a new iPhone for me. He said that he has not seen this problem on the 3gs iPhones but he has seen it on a few of the 3g iPhones. After a few weeks the volume button stopped working. So, I am glad I brought it in. I should have a new phone in 3-5 days.

8. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

My 3G felt a bit mushy and hard to press when I first got it, then it got a lot better over time actually. My 3GS was nice and snappy out of the box like my buddies Ipod Touch. Feels a lot more responsive. Hopefully it stays that way.

:)

They all vary a bit...

EDIT

I'm an idiot and thought this thread was about the home button. haha Dumbass.