3Gs vs. 3G features...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vampyr, Jun 9, 2009.

1. vampyr macrumors regular

Other than bluetooth 2.1, a better battery life, a new camera, and some efficient components in the electronics that makes apps 'snappier'... what else does the 3Gs have that the current 3G doesn't?

I'm trying to figure out why the 3.0 software upgrade for existing 3G phones doesn't include Voice Control and the Compass. (More specifically Voice Control)

- I'm looking forward to the first review of a cracked 3Gs phone for internal comparisons.

2. Guiyon macrumors 6502a

Can't say anything about voice control but the digital compass requires an additional chip that the original 3G lacks.

3. cualexander macrumors 6502a

They can't release all the features for 3GS on 3G, how else could they pretend they didn't just spend an extra $5 on the camera and call it 3GS? JK.

Aside from the digital compass, my hunch is that the 3G could probably handle most all the features they are throwing at 3GS.

4. powaking macrumors 6502

powaking

Not sure about some of the features of the camera (auto focus and macro) but video is doable (maybe not 30fps that would require the processing power) but I can see the current model handling video (its doing it now with Qik and Cycorder).

5. davelanger macrumors 6502a

Here is what you want

http://www.apple.com/iphone/compare-iphones/

6. Zimmy68 macrumors 65816

Zimmy68

People joke about the compass but its a new chip called something like the magnotometer (or something).
    If you watch the Apple movie on the 3Gs, I can see it being a huge help if you are walking around a big city and are trying to find a location.
    Google maps orients your direction.

I'm sure the 3G can do the voice control, they just need to save something for the new phone.

I was happy to see the voice memo added to OS 3.0 on the 3G. I thought they would hold that off too.

7. ARK macrumors 6502

Since the 3G doesnt have the compass will the upcoming Tom Tom app be able to support the 3G?

8. davelanger macrumors 6502a

My GPS in my car does not have a compas but it still tells me where to go ;)

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It is a joke, while it may have some functionality, it will be minor at best.

10. argor macrumors member

the 3G has a powervr MBX Lite gpu 3Gs has powervr SGX gpu
    see http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=714811&highlight=PowerVR
    it may be about 2..3 times performans gane maybe more over the 3g gpu

11. argor macrumors member

12. lilmitchmitch macrumors 6502

"Inline remote for music control" ...are those the newer headphones with mic/remote that works with the new iPods? Or are they the same as the ones that came with the 3G?

13. evsmotors macrumors member

:confused: Water and Oil Resistant Finish??? How come they didn't mention that in any ads???? That is awesome if true.

14. argor macrumors member