3GS vs 4 vs 5...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Darwing, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Darwing macrumors 6502

hey guys,

Ive had my 3gs for over a year and a bit now, and wanted the 4 so badly because of the insane changes. I remember having the 3GS and trying to use my buddies 3G and was appauled at the speed of it. however when Im using my 3Gs vs the 4 I don't feel the absolute crazy difference.

I know the specs are 100% upgraded from camera to the display and design, but the overall operating system usage feels the same (I know its faster but not like the diff from 3g - 3gs.) Yes I would like the camera, and the display and a bit more speed, but they just seem like they can wait.

I'm getting a brand new IP4 shipped to me at a low cost and was going to sell my 3Gs and use the new 4, however I feel as though I could sell the 4 get top dollar for it and just wait till the 5 comes out in about 6 months.

I guess what I'm saying is... is it really worth the upgrade when you go from 3GS to 4? I know its a huge upgrade from the 3G...

2. iApples, Mar 27, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2011

iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

Well I previously had the 3GS and I got an iPhone 4 for free. (Couldn't say no of course) The only real differences I notice is the improved battery and the Retina display. I absolutely love the Retina display! I don't think I would be able to use a 3GS ever again just for that reason. As for the rest of the improvements... Meh... It's the same thing. I've not once used the facetime camera (And I knew I wouldn't) I do notice it to be faster, but not enough where I'm blown away. All in all, wait for the iPhone 5 if possible. Or you'll be back in the same position you are in now when the iPhone 5 comes out.

3. Xeperu macrumors 6502

I still use my old 3Gs as my work phone (heck anything is better than a Nokia) alongside the iPhone 4. I don't mind it. It works fine. It's still fast, it still plays the occasional Infinity Blade game, it still reads the news fine. No worries.

I got the 3Gs after getting crazy off the slowness of the 3G. The 3Gs fixed those issues right away as you mentioned before.

If you want to upgrade, hold out for the iPhone 5 a bit more.

4. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Your forgetting the part where the iPhone 4 battery is 800x better than the 3GS.

5. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Dude, i'm still using my iPhone 3G on iOS 4.2.1, so you can imagine the hell i'm going through. It's certainly made me less productive as well.

You waited so long, i'm sure you can hold off for 3 more months for it to be announced, and then get the iPhone 5 which will be much better than the iPhone 4.

6. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

As mentioned before, at this point the 4 has been in production for 3/4 of a year, and 5 is likely due out this Summer. Why not wait?

7. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

Yeah true, I forgot to add that. The battery is also a lot better. I'll edit that in.

8. Darwing thread starter macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

Well yes I heard the battery is better but I don't VCR an issue with mine I charge every night and it will last the day, sometimes I'll have to slow down my use to get it through the day bit all-in-all it's good enough.

As for the iPhone 5, I don't think it will be coming out until 2012 sometime as I have read. As well I don't think they will be doing a huge hardware change, faster processor, maybe a bit better camera... Maybe more ram... But in all honesty it's not even getting used to it's full potential right now so who needs all that? The ip4 is using like 1/2 of it's capabilities and everything software is madeto run on i3gs so not even using the specs of the ip4... Let alone the ip5!!!

I have waited this long so I most likely will wait however I believe I'll be waiting nearing a year for the new one. If it was coming sooner it wouldn't be such a hard descision.

9. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Went from 2G>3GS>4. The screen and new design alone is worth the upgrade.

10. mtnDewFTW macrumors 6502a

I think you kinda answered your own question while you were typing this post. Personally, I would wait. The 3Gs is still relatively new. You can use iOS 4.x on it, and like you said, it runs pretty well. If paying for the iPhone 5 when it comes out doesn't seem like a huge issue to you, then you should keep the 4, since like you said, you're getting it at low cost. But if you keep the 4 and that leaves you with no money for the 5, I'd say just sell it as soon as you can for as much as you can get.