3GS vs 4G. Now vs. delayed.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bibble, May 28, 2010.

1. Bibble macrumors member

Ok, I'm on a group business contract (with family), and we were making the switch from vodafone to O2 for iPhones (the vodafone iPhone tarriff wasn't very good). This was planned at the beginning of the year, and it's taken this long to get anything. They've just got the codes through to switch the numbers over and activate everything, and the reception is appalling, so they're all going back, and we're now going to be looking at the Vodafone versions again.

Now, way back when, I was happy to get a 3GS, given that there was going to be a fair while between getting it and the new one coming out.

I've now got to try and convince them to wait a couple of weeks for the new one to come out, but I'm not sure that vodafone will get it immediately, and it does need to be in and set up properly by the beginning of July, as that is when we are heading on holiday, and we can't be having bad phones when they are the main lines of communication and location.

Anyone know roughly of the time it'll take for carriers to offer the new phones/reduce the price of the old ones after the announcement. And is there usually a delay between announcement/release in US and release in UK/internationally?

2. LouisBlack macrumors 6502

No one knows outside of Apple. Announcement is on the 7th (most probably) and, if the past couple of years is anything to go by, the phone should be out a couple of weeks after that.

There have been murmurings around the interwebs that the phone will be available very soon after the announcement... possibly even immediately but this seems unlikely.

3. ComputersaysNo macrumors 6502

ComputersaysNo

I've been thinking about not mentioning this as i can't proof it anymore, but i am pretty sure, although not 100%,that i've seen on the apple-website a while ago that the new iphone is available from the 17th of June. It was on the bottom of the page of the 3GS in those small letters. When i finally decided that i would post it, it was gone, changed or whatsoever.

I will have to live with the fact that i had a pretty good scoop but hesitated too long to be 'the man who knew' for as long as it would last. Or it was wishfullthinking, that happens too.

4. Bibble thread starter macrumors member

Ok, well if it's going to be 17th-ish on Apple, then I'll leave as is. If it gets delayed to the extent that we can get a 4G, then so muhc the better, but I won't push it.