3GS week 51: screen blur / ghosting

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by gnychis, Jan 11, 2010.

1. gnychis macrumors 6502

Hi all,

Does anyone have a 3GS from week 51? My phone was replaced by apple with this phone, and i've noticed significant ghosting of text and things while scrolling. Additionally, I think the "viewing angle" has decreased over my previous 3GS I owned.

Anyone with this issue?

- George

2. benfica88 macrumors regular

Same thing here. I just got mine replaced this weekend because of the battery. It's def a big difference. However I noticed that the backlight seems a lot brighter than the old lcd. I know don't have to keep it as high. Wonder if these new screens are more effecient...

3. Rayman2170 macrumors newbie

Week 52 here with this very issue. I had a 4x that I got just before Christmas and had the screen replaced on it twice first two screens on the phone didn't have this issue. First screen was half green, second had multiple dead pixels. But the third one that I got just last week had this ghosting issue. All of them had the yellowing at the bottom. Now new phone new screen same ghosting but at least the yellowing is gone.

So it must be a new LCD panel since only the later ones have the issue. I am tempted to take it in again. But I just Dont know if I wanna risk it.

I think the new screens have a lower refresh rate because if you drag the safari window down. Where the top bar starts Its springing back into place, you can see horizontal lines on the nav bar. Maybe the new ones are interlaced and the old ones progressive. I don't know why they would go backwards in technology though.

4. gnychis thread starter macrumors 6502

this is horrible... i'm going to try to take mine back, it hurts my eyes significantly, it's hard to see/read anything moving at all

5. Rayman2170 macrumors newbie

I'd wait a little while. That's what I'm doin. Wait for a new batch of screens.

On the other hand if your lucky enough to have an apple store near by(mine is a hour drive one way in good weather/traffic), it only takes about 10-15 minutes for a genius to replace a screen. You mightaswell try it.

6. Rayman2170 macrumors newbie

Sorry for double post but I just found a thread from last year with a 3g. It was for this exact same issue. So it would seem that one of the six or whatever number of screen manufacturers uses some very cheap LCD panels. I don't see how apple would even allow such underpar hardware to get to their customers. There are probably millions of these screens out there and the users just don't know any better.

7. benfica88 macrumors regular

So it may be worth it to hit up the genius bar again...

8. Rayman2170 macrumors newbie

I just can't take it any more, I set up my reservation for tommarow at 4:45. This will be my 4th and hopfully final visit to the genius bar for screen related issues. I'll update you on the condition of the screen I get.

9. UnLiMiTeD558 macrumors 6502

sorry noob question but where do you find the build date?

10. Rayman2170 macrumors newbie

4th and 5th numbers in your serial number which is in the about section of general settings.

Screen is replaced. Horizontal lines gone. Ghosting still there but not noticable On par with my 3g. plus viewing angle is improved! Hopfully there arnt any different problems that I'm just not noticing yet. I'll know more once I can get it into a dark room.

Update: the only problem with the new screen that I can detect is the screen temp is a little lower, closer to my 3g's screen, causing it to look blueish. But I'm sure I'll get used to it in no time.

11. UnLiMiTeD558 macrumors 6502

i got week 45, hopefully those dont have issues lol

12. gnychis thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for the update! it's good to know they replaced it for you. I'll take mine in soon and let you know how it goes also

13. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

lcd

there are several different manufactures for the lcd screen so that is why the difference.

14. Rayman2170 macrumors newbie

Sigh.... Now my battery is draining real fast. I don't know how a differnt screen would cause battery drainage. Battery drains to zero in about 12-13 hours whether I use it or not. Used to go over a day.

Or maybe it's the new phone's battery and I just didn't notice it until I had a good screen.

I've tried restoring to no avail.

I just can't win... :eek:

15. NathanA macrumors 6502a

After I finally got a good screen on my phone, I wondered what I would ever do in the event that I needed to get the phone replaced for any other reason.

Since contemplating this, I've always been curious to try this and see if it would work, but have not yet had the opportunity: what if you were to go to an Apple store, get them to agree to replace the phone for problem X (bad battery, or whatever), and then examine the replacement phone. If it also has a good screen, then score: just take it and don't hassle the poor Genius anymore. But if it is obviously inferior to your old screen, rather than going through umpteen more phones with the Genius before you find another one, it seems to me that...you KNOW where a good screen can be found: your old phone!

So, ask the Genius to let you keep the replacement phone, but also see if they would be willing to swap LCDs between the replacement phone and your old phone. Since Geniuses can now do display replacements on-site at the store, I don't see why this couldn't be done.

-- Nathan

16. Rayman2170 macrumors newbie

I think I solved the battery issue by deleting all my mail accounts and resetting them up after a reboot.

But if i did get another replacment I would tell them to put the screen I have on my new phone immediatly I wouldn't even inspect the new one. Because I didn't see any of the problems of my previous 4 screens in the unnaturally bright store. It was after I got them in a dim room at home that the impurities would shine threw.

Update: yea battery issue fixed. I'm at standby: 20hours, usage: 3.5hours and still 24% battery left. Thank god...dodged a bullet. :cool: