3GS wifi doesn't connect - conflict?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by nightfly13, Feb 28, 2010.

1. nightfly13 macrumors 6502a

nightfly13

My second-hand 3Gs (Craigslist) is missing the SIM card tray. New one has been ordered. In the mean time, the wifi doesn't work. I can toggle it on and off in the normal phone settings, and I can go to airplane mode and back, but it doesn't see any networks. It spins the little icon for 1 second and then perpetrates like there's no network in range (of course there is, I have 3 laptops connected to it constantly, as well as my 2G iPhone).

I uninstalled SBSsettings via Cydia to see if that toggle (it was on) was maybe somehow conflicting with the normal setting.

Any other suggestions?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

3. nightfly13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nightfly13

Last bump

So... no suggestions? It's still under warranty but I'm in India so that might get tricky. Since I'm in India it's jailbroken, so I guess I'll wait for someone to jailbreak 3.1.3, then restore to original and see if it works, and if not then try to get Apple to fix/replace it for me somehow.

I have a nagging suspicion that it's a software issue, not a physically defective wifi chip inside, but I won't know until I can do a full restore (yet still jailbreak to keep it useful here).

Any last minute help?

4. nightfly13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nightfly13

Hmm I also just realized my GPS doesn't work. I did finally get my SIM card try from China today, so I've finally switched fully to the 3GS (and my wife is inheriting the 2G). I keep hoping someone's gonna come up with a genius solution to this..

5. isk8sb'z! macrumors newbie

iphone 3gs wifi

i have the same problem with my second hand iphone from craigslist the wifi signal will search for about a second and it will jus go out like there arent any wifi network to connect to when there is & i have my labtop connected to

this is frustating lol

have you solved your problem yet with your iphones wifi connection?

6. nightfly13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nightfly13

No I haven't solved mine yet. I'm tempted to restore to 3.1.3 and try to JB/UL but I'm afraid that, if that doesn't fix the wifi part, then it'll be locked and basically useless to me. I think you need the wifi working to unlock, so I'm really kinda stuck wondering what to do.

I'm still waiting for our MR Hero to come and identify what these symptoms are suggestive of and show us how to fix it!

7. mastercool10 macrumors member

i'd try resetting the settings. Always seems to work.

8. nightfly13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nightfly13

Success!

Woo! I never knew about that. My wifi works, my EDGE works (don't have a 3G sim yet) but my GPS does not - not even from outside. Location services are toggled to 'on'. While I've never had a working GPS and been dying to play with this, I'm overall very happy and thankful to mastercool10.

9. nightfly13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nightfly13

A coupe months later, my GPS has still never worked, thought I'd just ask again if anyone has any suggestions. I just got an India map app and, well it's kinda useless without GPS.