3GS Wifi randomly disconnects?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by WickedRabbit, Jul 26, 2009.

1. WickedRabbit macrumors regular

Just picked up a 32GB 3GS and I'm noticing it just randomly disconnects from my Wi-Fi. I've had it for a few days now and it does it at least 3-5 times a day randomly. Tried resetting router and a friend says that the 3GS's have been having quite a lot of problems in regards to Wi-Fi and says that I'm just going to have to wait for OS 3.1 to hopefully fix it.

2. sou1 so1di3r macrumors 6502a

sou1 so1di3r

I've never had any problem with the wifi on my 3GS.

Are you sure you have a good signal?

I know for mine if I go upstairs and far enough away from my router it just gives up and goes off 3G

3. xolan99 macrumors regular

It's not just the 3GS...some people are reporting the same thing with iPod Touches and iPhone 3G's with the 3.0 software update.

You can TRY returning it but I've read many instances where people returned their phones (multiple times even) and still experienced the same thing. There are a handful of people with actual Wifi hardware issues but it might be that you're falling in the broader group of unexplained Wifi issues with 3.0.

4. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
  5. WickedRabbit thread starter macrumors regular

I think you're right that it might be more in line with OS 3.0 software because I know it's not my router. If there's anything I know how to set up flawlessly it's my router and everything in my house is on nearly perfect connection (including the iPhone) and nothing has a problem but my iPhone. Hell, even standing next to the router it will randomly disconnect.

Plus, it's definitely something with the phone because it will disconnect and it will say "invalid password" and even after typing it back in it will come back saying "incorrect password" and then a few minutes later it will just randomly reconnect on its own.

6. guititon macrumors newbie

This is still an issue

My wife and I got new iphones last week. At our rural home in Missouri the wifi works fine, never dropped either of us. Our home in Illinois it drops every time the screen locks. The difference is we have a password on the one that is being dropped, but the one in Missouri is open (no neighbors to steal it). And we have to type in the password every time we connect to it in Illinois, which is very irritating. Why doesn't it remember the ID. But I notice where ever the wifi is unprotected it keeps the connection. The phones are running 4.0.2, by now Apple should be aware of this and they should have had it fixed - this thread is several years old. That's the kind of tech support I have come to know and loathe in MS software.

BTW, our computers never drop the connection while at the same time the iphone does, so it is definately the iphone at fault.

7. TurdFerguson macrumors 6502

Dude this thread is over a year old. The iPhone is set-up to disconnect from WIFI when the screen locks to save battery. Its a feature not a flaw. These people were talking about something completely different then you are, they were talking about a bug that used to exist in the firmware.