3gs with 4.3.1- Battery drains faster?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by LoMayoKicksU, Apr 18, 2011.

1. LoMayoKicksU macrumors member

LoMayoKicksU

Is this true that with 4.3.1 the battery drains faster? Why is that?
    May be it is intended to be like that to run apps faster.

My wife's 3gs is still in 3.xxxx(original). She is asking me to update it, jailbreak, unlock and what ever there is available that can be done to it to make it better..

If 4.3.1 is not that good, which update should I take that is tested to be good?

The basebands is 06.15.00. Does this need an update too? How?

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

I have a 3GS 4.3.1, 5.11.07 baseband on t-mo, no bat decreases, works great.

3. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

I read some comments here about 4.3.1 and battery drain, seems like every single new OS has comments like that. Try a restore as new. Also some comments that 4.3.2 fixes it, who knows.

06.15.00 can't be updated or downgraded, you are done once you do this. You also need a custom firmware that won't update baseband now too in case you didn't realize.

4. stockscalper macrumors 6502a

stockscalper

I've just stuck with 4.0 because it seems that every release after that has had problems of some sort, whether it be signal strength dropping out or battery drainage.

5. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

I have the bat drain too. I suggest just updating to 4.2.1, jailbreak it, and stay there. 4.3.1 slowed down my 3GS quite a bit as well as cutting the battery life down by almost a quarter. I never experienced keyboard lag at all or any kind of slow downs until 4.3. 4.2.1 was great however. Its worth noting too that they likely won't update the 3Gs to iOS 5 so 4.2 would be a great place to stay, assuming they don't release a 4.4.x version in the meantime that solves the above issues.

6. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

when i first jb'd (4.1, on a 3GS), i definitely noticed my battery draining faster.
    at 4.3.1, seems no worse (no better either, sadly). but not significant enough for me to give up the jb! and no speed loss (that i can see).

safari is definitely faster, and all my fave hacks and tweaks are working...

7. cheesyappleuser macrumors 6502a

cheesyappleuser

I have 3GS jailbroken (4.3.1) and 4 unjailbroken (4.1) and, mostly when running apps, 3GS's battery seems to be a lot worse.
    But I don't want to get jailbreak off, although I have a small amount of apps installed.

Is there any way to get a better battery life by tweaking the phone (notice I have Location function enabled in both phones)?

Also, how did you make Safari faster?

EDIT: I'm an iPhone newbie.
    Is there a significant upside in jailbreak?

8. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

seriously, my battery was better before jailbreaking. so i carry a battery pack (a 3G Juice) sometimes in case, altho i generally make it thru the day (and i use my iphone a lot).

safari is faster in 4.3.1, so that's just a default improvement. but the upside?
    bitesms, customization. springtomize. sbsettings. there are a MILLION reasons to jb, and would not go back. :cool: