3GS with fried baseband...

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Applejuiced, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Hey what's up bro's. A friend of mine brought me a 3GS to fix tonight.
    The genius tried to install the ipad baseband on a new 8GB iphone 3GS with the fixed baseband.
    Well needless to say everything is grayed out like wifi, bluetooth, it doesnt display no imei etc...
    The usual.
    The iphone I guess is still under warranty till October. Think he'll have any luck getting it replaced if he brings it to Apple and plays dumb?

2. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

It's possible. Especially if he plays ignorant to the truth. Better hope that he gets a genius that's never seen what happens when you try that though.

3. wanzer macrumors member

I concur, just tell him to act ignorant and maybe even apathetic to what's going on. Even if it doesn't work, just have him bring it back another day to a different person, or even another store until someone falls for it. The trick, again, is to act as ignorant as possible so they will be more inclined to help him.

4. Myselff macrumors newbie

I had the same prob plus some knowledge on how to fry it BEFORE i went to Apple Store (New York City).
    Gave it to them and they told me its dead (!) and they re going to give a new one.
    The whole thing took about 10 minutes no more.

5. jay47 macrumors member

Probably not . But he can try .

Did you try reflashing the ipad baseband ? Sometimes it needs to be flashed twice before taking .

6. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

There's nothing to lose since it's not working anymore.

7. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Or order a replacement chip from beijingiphonerepair which come with 5.13.xx I believe and use Ultrasn0w.

8. Applejuiced thread starter macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The particular 3GS cannot be flashed with the iPad bb at all.
    It has the new fixed baseband so it's done. Reflashing won't make any difference.
    I'll tell him to go in to Apple and give it a shot.

9. jay47 macrumors member

I also have a 3gs with the new bootrom & have flashed , bricked & greyed out the radio multiple times with the ipad baseband and it still lives and works fine. :D

However i have a few old iphones so i wasnt worried if it became a paperweight .

If it is taken to apple , it would be easier to get a replacement if the phone is totally bricked so they cant see the greyed out radio settings . Once they see that they may know it was flashed with ipad baseband voiding the warranty .

Being totally bricked will make it very difficult to know the cause & if they attempt to do a restore while he waits more than likely it will fail due to the ipad baseband being flashed .