3Gs with iOS 4.1/05.14.02 Update Strategy

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by GPeaslee, Oct 13, 2011.

1. GPeaslee macrumors member

I would like to update to iOS5, jailbreak (untethered), and eventually unlock. My 3Gs has the old bootrom, so I understand that an untethered jailbreak is possible. I don't need to unlock right away, so I am willing to wait for the unlock. Should I just first update to iOS5 through itunes? Is it correct that this will also update to a new baseband which can eventually be unlocked? Then can I follow the instructions on iClarified using RedSnOw to jailbreak (untethered) without updating the baseband?

2. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

There hasn't really been much lately about Ultrasn0w being updated as far as I know, so I would avoid the new baseband completely. If you can use pwnagetool or sn0wbreeze to create an untethered jailbreak custom IPSW, then you could restore to that and preserve your baseband, and potentially add the iPad baseband through Redsn0w. I apologize for my vagueness; I was once the guru on this stuff and I've just fallen completely out of the loop. If you have anymore questions feel free to ask and we will do our best to answer. :)

3. GPeaslee thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, awadeee! I think there will never be an unlock for 5.14.02, since it is so old now. Also I don't want to use the iPad baseband, because losing GPS is not an option for me. For these 2 reasons, I didn't think there was any point in trying to preserve my baseband.