3Gs with iPad sim for data only?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MaxBurn, Nov 28, 2010.

1. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

From what I am reading here this appears to be possible right? I only very occasionally need/want a cell data connection and this seems like an ideal solution for when I don't want to lug the iPad. I don't need voice at all because I have a work phone.

Looking to get a 3Gs that is 4.0.2 and 05.13.04, will get a sim adaptor. Not jail broken or unlocked but it looks like I could do both.

I assume i can use the phone like an iPod without the SIM in it?

2. sirslaysalot macrumors member

hypothetically, it should work. i've got a data-only blackberry sim right now. no phone calls - just mail

3. MaxBurn thread starter macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

4. bwrairen macrumors 6502

Completely do-able. DL the textfree app and you get a free local phone number, free texting, and dirt cheap voice minutes (1.99 for 100, I believe).

All you have to do is change the access point name to "Broadband" on the iphone. Visit http://www.unlockit.co.nz/unlockit/ (in mobile safari). It is self explanatory. Change the APN and leave all other fields blank.

5. MaxBurn thread starter macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Cool, thanks I will give it a try.

I guess if they give me hell about it I will cancel the iPad sim and get something from them or another carrier on a pay as you go plan. At first glance pay as you go with AT&T doesn't look very good on the data side.

6. bwrairen macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

The trick in not getting hell about it is not telling them in the first place!!